explaining alzheimers to children

st4cy

Feb 25, 2015
My grandad was diagnosed with early onset back in 2009. My eldest daughter was born in 2006, so she does remember him minimally before diagnosis.
His dementia seemed to progress in a way that was easy to explain to my children up to this point. He was just grandad mike, he was a bit forgetful and sometimes did things they found quite funny. He had a seizure at Christmas which has accelerated his dementia. My children are 9,7 and 3. They absolutely adore their grandad, I think the time has come now where they need a little more information. Especially my eldest two. Can anyone recommend some children's books that might help with this?

Thanks

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Iona Shanks Unpaid young adult carer who cares for her mum

Why Care? It's What We Do

We have all at some point in our lives played a game of hide and seek, we loved to hide and loathed to seek. One thing that I have come to find when taking on the role of the seeker is that we begin searching in the most obvious of places for those that are hiding, the places that we ourselves would hide. Yet even though we have anticipated it, we are still surprised when we find somebody hiding in one of those obvious locations. It's just like the many young carers in the UK that are hidden in plain sight.

Many young carers do not associate themselves with the term "Young Carer" simply because they don't even associate themselves as being a carer full stop. Being a young carer myself I just thought that the care I gave to my loved one was purely an act of love and something that had to be done, it was nothing more than my domestic lifestyle. It is because of the lack of understanding of what a young carer truly is that many young carers up and down the UK are not receiving the help and support they need and truly deserve because they have not yet been identified ...

Article here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/iona-shanks/why-care-its-what-we-do_b_6742092.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Hi!..
I am an unpaid carer for my dad who has dementia and my dad has been my mums carer for years...i suppose in some way i was a young carer. My dad bless him wasnt very organised and needed help with some things.

When i spoke as a carer of dementia to a large group of student nurses voluntarily..i was lucky enough to have the chance to watch a young carers video!...i must admit to feeling proud of them...angry they were under so much pressure...concerned society couldnt see their education could be affected.

I then went on to do my talk on carers of parents with dementia..and took the opportunity to ask everyone to recognise that carers come in all shapes and sizes..and ages...

Its important that we recognise these things..and that young carers have the opportunity to be young and carers with support.

I take my hat off to all carers like myself..and especially young and young adult carers ..that save the goverment billions. I salute you all.

There should be a dedicated national young carers day!..

Best wishes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
My grandad was diagnosed with early onset back in 2009. My eldest daughter was born in 2006, so she does remember him minimally before diagnosis.
His dementia seemed to progress in a way that was easy to explain to my children up to this point. He was just grandad mike, he was a bit forgetful and sometimes did things they found quite funny. He had a seizure at Christmas which has accelerated his dementia. My children are 9,7 and 3. They absolutely adore their grandad, I think the time has come now where they need a little more information. Especially my eldest two. Can anyone recommend some children's books that might help with this?

Thanks

Hi!..other than the factsheets available..i can say that under the dementia friends .org.uk which is a social active movement..there is information for children of all ages...if you go online and look for your reginal dementia friends volunteer officer ..they can either help you become a dementia friend..or advise you where to find a session with a champion locally that has access to information session for children..its a well worthwhile session..and also being present with all ages..to help create dementia friendly communities!
Best wishes

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Dont know if its my app but ive posted two replies...from two different comments...they both appeared on same page!!! Dont know why..oops!!!

st4cy

Feb 25, 2015
Hi,
I'm doing a dementia champion training session on the 13th. Maybe they'll give some advice then? I really hope so. Thanks everyone for the advice xx

Last edited: