Expert Q&A: Dementia Research, Tuesday 26th March, 3-4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah_C

Mar 21, 2019
would what I am asking below be covered in the links between genetics & developing dementia with learning disability & Schizophrenia
as both are in my family Genetics family makeup on my mother's side of the family.
I have learning disabilities & my deceased brother had schizophrenia ended up with
Korsakoff's syndrome as he abused alcohol.

My deceased mother was diagnosed in Gibraltar with AZ, also her brother.
In the UK I was told it was VD because of the symptoms, mum had type 2 type diabetes

I Have been hearing a lot lately about people with a learning disability have a higher risk of developing dementia in later years.
can you please Answers is
this true?
Has there been research to prove this is true?
If it is true, why would it happen?

Also, people with schizophrenia
have a higher risk of getting dementia is this true? & why is it Ture?
If a person just has schizophrenia with learning disability & does not abuse alcohol or drugs.
Do they still have a high risk of getting dementia & if so why ?

Hi Maggie, many thanks for your query.

The genetics of dementia are complex but it’s very rare to directly inherit Alzheimer’s disease. There are genetic variants of particular genes that may slightly increase or slightly decrease our risk of developing the condition but it’s important to note that even if you do carry copies of these variants it doesn’t mean you will definitely go on to develop the condition.

Find out more about the genetics of dementia here.

Our ‘Learning disabilities and dementia’ publication gives a good overview of the risk of developing dementia.

If you would like to talk to someone about these issues, please do contact our helpline team on 0300 222 11 22.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark_W

Sep 28, 2015
London
And that's all we have time for, thank you Hannah for being with us today and I hope you'll come for a return visit in the future.

Best Wishes

Hannah_C

Mar 21, 2019
Thanks everyone for your interesting and varied questions, I’ve really enjoyed being involved! If you have any questions in the future about dementia research, you can contact the ‘Research and Development team’ here at Alzheimer’s Society at researchenquiries@alzheimers.org.uk

Hannah

Status
Not open for further replies.