Experiences with white items and pale coloured food

Rey61

Mar 23, 2017
Has anyone ever experienced concerns with white items and pale coloured food? My mother-in-law painstakenly picked out peppers, coloured pasta and discarded turkey pieces and pale pasta when eating sweet and sour tonight. Interestingly, to check out whether it was the paleness of the meat, I added a bit of ham and she ate that

She had a fall the other day and had to spend the night in hospital. While keen to have a shower this morning, she started to shiver and shake once in. The bathroom was warm. Was she frightened?

The deterioration this week is marked.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
People with dementia often do have difficulty seeing white things - it seems to sort of disappear
The also have problems with black things that look like a hole or gap.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
The home tried white plates and dishes, against general logic and it was a massive fail and the staff no longer use them.
The blue plates and dishes give a contrast as very few foods are blue, hence the use of blue plasters in kitchens, it contrasts with the food.
My wife now associates anything blue with feeding time and puts her tongue out in expectation as soon as I put her blue apron on, blue now equals food or drink in her mind.
As someone who's been colour blind all my life I don't like things I can't distinguish from the background colour so give me green cabbage on a red plate and it looks like a pattern on the plate to me.
Blue plates contrast with most foods so make the food easier to see, they're the most commonly used ones in homes for people with advanced AZ, blue being a food neutral colour means the food is easier to identify.
K

Rey61

Mar 23, 2017
The home tried white plates and dishes, against general logic and it was a massive fail and the staff no longer use them.
The blue plates and dishes give a contrast as very few foods are blue, hence the use of blue plasters in kitchens, it contrasts with the food.
My wife now associates anything blue with feeding time and puts her tongue out in expectation as soon as I put her blue apron on, blue now equals food or drink in her mind.
As someone who's been colour blind all my life I don't like things I can't distinguish from the background colour so give me green cabbage on a red plate and it looks like a pattern on the plate to me.
Blue plates contrast with most foods so make the food easier to see, they're the most commonly used ones in homes for people with advanced AZ, blue being a food neutral colour means the food is easier to identify.
K
I tried the blue plates. My mother-in-law commented on how lovely they were. No real difference in the amount she ate nor did she ask why we were using them... Her appetite has diminished considerably since her fall last week. She no longer looks for biscuits and has a thing about not eating after teatime (wish I did!!).