Experience of gold standard care?

Leswi

Jul 13, 2014
Bedfordshire
Mum is aged 89, 4 years into her mixed dementia diagnosis. Following the last three weeks of rapid decline, being asleep most of the time with only a couple of hours a day awake I saw GP today who put mum on gold standard pathway for palliative care. Stopped Memantine and Clopidigrel and said to expect a gradual peaceful withdrawal from the world that could take months. We are keeping mum at home and can now have Macmillan when needed. Anybody got experience of this?

Timeout

Feb 10, 2012
Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your mum. We had a similar thing happen at Christmas, mum was discharged from hospital back to her NH on 'end of life' care.

All her meds were withdrawn and she was expected to slowly withdraw and pass away. Mum defied all the expectations, started eating and drinking a little more and gradually improved. She is now stable, albeit at end stages, doubly incontinent, eats puree and thickened drinks, she is completely immobile but is hoisted out of bed daily into a pressure relieving chair and brought to the communal lounge.

For her I think the withdrawal of the meds has had a remarkable effect, she is much more alert and awake for much longer periods.

You may find that your mum could go either way now that the meds have been withdrawn. For my mum its been a good thing although we do understand that things can change fairly quickly. Good luck.