Expectations.

TedW

Feb 2, 2014
Corfu, Greece.
I took my wife for her regular visit to the lavatory this afternoon. She had a huge poo and I don't know between the two of us who was more pleased! It set us both in a better mood and I am just reflecting on how our expectations in this life change so dramatically. I remember my youngest son when he was very young , who now stands at least 6" above me, smiling and generally showing his satisfaction during a similar exercise. I hate this disease.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I took my wife for her regular visit to the lavatory this afternoon. She had a huge poo and I don't know between the two of us who was more pleased! It set us both in a better mood and I am just reflecting on how our expectations in this life change so dramatically. I remember my youngest son when he was very young , who now stands at least 6" above me, smiling and generally showing his satisfaction during a similar exercise. I hate this disease.

Ha! You don't know how much I understand! I've spent a week trying to sort out my husband's constipation. Suffice to say an enema given on Friday afternoon sorted that out! I don't think I've ever had so many conversations about poo! You're right. Our expectations do change!:rolleyes:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I know exactly what you mean. Even though Sue is almost entirely continent again after dietary changes, I still go to bed a little uneasy on those mercifully rare days when she hasn't 'performed'. I would never have anticipated this playing such a prominent role in my life.:(

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Dementia toughens us up, I actually sat reading Izzy's comprehensive posts on Bill and his constipation and the final clear out whilst eating my lunch. Did it put me off? No.

nothing is taboo and that's great.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Dementia toughens us up, I actually sat reading Izzy's comprehensive posts on Bill and his constipation and the final clear out whilst eating my lunch. Did it put me off? No.

Ha!!!!!:D

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I used to monitor and aim at a high 3 or 4
818px-Bristol_stool_chart.svg.png

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West

Yes, I can relate to this too. Although I understand that for some carers incontinence is the 'tipping point' I actually found that even when I was dealing with double incontinence there were many things about our situation that were more difficult to deal with

Last edited:

TedW

Feb 2, 2014
Corfu, Greece.
Ha! You don't know how much I understand! I've spent a week trying to sort out my husband's constipation. Suffice to say an enema given on Friday afternoon sorted that out! I don't think I've ever had so many conversations about poo! You're right. Our expectations do change!:rolleyes:

Izzy.
My solution is now a daily dose of Duphalac, at least one All Bran biscuit and a couple of 'Nakd' raw fruit and nut bars. She loves the cocoa orange ones which contain, dates, cashews, raisins and cocoa. They taste just like chocolate so are a hit every time.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Izzy.
My solution is now a daily dose of Duphalac, at least one All Bran biscuit and a couple of 'Nakd' raw fruit and nut bars. She loves the cocoa orange ones which contain, dates, cashews, raisins and cocoa. They taste just like chocolate so are a hit every time.

Thanks Ted.

Bill normally doesn't have a problem. The nurses think that his stay in hospital and the fact that he has been less mobile since he came out have probably been a major factor here. They've suggested half a sachet of Laxido a day now. Bill has lots of fruit and veg and for breakfast he always has berries and a bran type cereal. I'm hoping his diet will sort things out again from now on!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I want to know why, after passing, with great difficulty that lasted three days, the biggest poo I have ever seen, OH made nothing of it! He certainly complained beforehand!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I know. It is so startling that a big poo by him done in the toilet makes me want to dance round the bathroom with joy! We had one last night and I nearly hugged him! He doesn't know what the fuss is about.

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Now I don't want to be boastful button should have seen the results of the enema Bill had on Friday - only 20 minutes after it was administered! :eek:eek::eek:

I thought we were going to have to call a plumber to unblock the loo!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Yes! You see the water rising up the bowl before it slowly stops and eventually subsides. I record those as 'almost loo blocker'.:) Yes, I do actually keep a diary - how bizarre is that? But it's encouraging, when things look as though they are going pear-shaped (nothing to do with the Bristol chart!) to remind oneself that a relapse is almost always isolated and that the routine returns promptly.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Ha! Pear shaped!! I liked that one:D

Oh dear how many people have this kind of discussion of a Sunday evening!

My challenge for this week is to time the Laxidos so that the carers get the benefit of the results. :D

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello everyone with poo issues, my hubby would never go to the loo if anyone was around, now if l am in the bathroom, (we do have a separate toilet) he will come in the bathroom when l am in there and unload in front of me, l was so shocked, but that is Mr. Alzheimers,

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I used to get him on the loo and say, I'll be back in a minute. But that was me, not him, he doesn't worry a bit!