Exercise: walking indoors

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I realise that many PWD are simply not able to walk, or are unable to walk far, and this post may not be of interest to those of you who care for people who fall into these categories.

For years after Sue's problems first started, and after I started working part-time, we tried to get out and walk as much as possible. At best we would walk 8-10 miles some weeks.

As things got more difficult, I aimed for at least 5 miles a week and sometimes managed 7. When Sue went through our most difficult months so far, which the early part of my blog describes, we started to walk again and still managed at least 5 miles a week. I'm convinced that this helped her recovery from the 'bad time' and that all the walking we have done must also have contributed to the relatively slow progression of the disease.

During 2014 we started to find it becoming more difficult to achieve the 5 miles, though we usually managed it. The various fixed things in our weekly schedule - singing, reflexology, care worker visits etc - all useful in themselves, didn't actually help with the walking. When we did have 'slots' when we could have walked the combination of earlier nightfall and autumn/winter weather made me look for alternatives.

We are lucky in that we live in a fairly spacious Victorian semi. I realised that, starting from the front doormat, we could walk 11 yards into the middle of the back room. 11 is useful in that it's easily multiplied to 220 or 440.:)

Since then, the target is three-quarters of a mile every day. Some days, it can all be outside. Other days when, for various reasons, we can't walk much outside, we make the distance up by walking indoors.

Amongst the various benefits of our walking indoors are nice level and easy floor surfaces (much safer than almost any pavement or path), much less danger of potentially harmful falls, the ability to sit down and rest whenever that is needed and an added bonus is the regular turning at the end of each 'leg' - excellent exercise.

I feel much happier now that I know that, at least for the time being, we can be fairly sure of achieving the weekly target.

There are probably people reading this who wonder why it took me so long to realise that indoor walking had a contribution to make.

P.S. The cat doesn't like it at all. Can't understand what we're doing and tries to get in the way.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Well done. I wonder if I could get Bill to do that!:rolleyes:

They're thinking of starting a walking football activity session here. I'm going to see if Bill can cope with it!:D

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
You may think you are stating the obvious Stanley but sometimes the obvious has to be stated because it isn't obvious anymore or never has been!:);)

I think its great you manage to walk so much with Sue as the exercise I'm sure helps. When unable to get out I try and walk indoors. My flat is not that big but rather than put all the washing in a basket to hang in the bathroom I take things individually to hang up so that I get more exercise, I have to do small, more frequent loads to manage now so it gives me exercise on two or three days a week. It also gives a focus and purpose too which is what my brain needs often too;)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh yes Izzy I've seen video of walking football. It looks like very good exercise. Hope Bill likes the idea.

I think he will as he loved football when he was younger. I'm a wee bit concerned about his stability though. I'm imagining either myself or the carer trotting along beside him to make sure he doesn't topple over!:eek:

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I think he will as he loved football when he was younger. I'm a wee bit concerned about his stability though. I'm imagining either myself or the carer trotting along beside him to make sure he doesn't topple over!:eek:

Maybe having to keep his eye on the ball will help Izzy, hope so:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerryann76