exelon

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Hi, newbie around here. Dad was diagnosed with lewy body dementia a couple of weeks ago and started on exelon. He's already quite confused, things seem to have happened really quickly with him. He's in respite care at the moment and I'm about to have to make some decision about permanent care. One of the care staff said to me that exelon is a "community drug" and that if someone goes into permanent residential care they can no longer have it prescribed on NHS. So presumably he'd lose any benefits he might have got from it. Anyone know if this is true?

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hello Aine, welcome to TP.

Cannot say for certain about Exelon, but as it is one of the three drugs used to treat dementias, cannot see why it would be stopped. Know for certain that Aricept is prescribed whilst in homes, and that is very similar to Exelon.

PS My partner is on Exelon, and was admitted to care home, it was not mentioned that his drug would be stopped. (He is back home again now).

Connie

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Seeing that it was one of the care staff that said that to you ,I would not listen to her/him & see the manger or the doctor in the care home .

The nurse told me that mum would not get her medication , but later on the day he phone our doctor & said yes she could carry on getting her medication ,good job ,because I would of hit the roof if they did not give her ,her medication