Excessive sleeping

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
Hi,
As some of you may know my mum was diagnosed with moderate stage Alzheimer’s about two weeks ago . She is still in hospital after fracturing a vertebrae in her back and also fracturing her hip.
When we ring we are always told she is sleeping. I’ve looked it up and it’s listed as an end stage symptom. Has anyone on here found that their love one sleeps excessively in an earlier stage of the disease and has that meant they are going into a rapid decline?
With COVID making things nearly impossible to communicate with the hospital I am feeling lost and am finding myself jumping to conclusions about what everything means with no facts to work from.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I dont really think that we are qualified to advise about this. Can you ask the ward if the doctor could phone you so that you could ask them these sort of questions?

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I agree with @jennifer1967 that it may be the painkillers. As @canary suggested, ask for a call from the doctor.

There is also the possibility that your mother is going through a sleeping phase. My mother had several of them during the course of her diagnosed 15 and a half years of AD. She had the first phase quite early - probably about a year and a half after diagnosis. She would sleep for 16 hours a day. I have always felt it was her way of avoiding her disease.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Cindyscorrals welcome to the forum. Has your mom suddenly started sleeping a lot? If so then it would be a good idea to speak to her GP as this could be a sign that she may have an infection. If she is in the later stages of dementia then it'not unusual to sleep more but as you are concerned please speak to the doctor so that they can give your mom a check up. Keep posting as you'll find lots of support and advice here.

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
Thank you everyone.
I have no. Contact with the hospital as they will only talk to my eldest sister as the hospital NOK. She is always told that