Excessive sleepiness

Baxi

May 10, 2021
Hi, my mother is 92,diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 16 years ago, she is at home and I care for her, she also has a care package, She has slept for long periods for a while now, appetite very poor and on supplement drinks. Sadly she is now immobile and her swallow has deteriorated.
over the last few months she has had days when she sleeps constantly, is difficult to rouse and doesn’t eat or drink, in essence sleeps all night all day and all night again. She then wakes and asks for a drink and drinks a lot all day. Has any one else experienced this

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Baxi
a warm welcome to DTP

I know my dad slept more and more, and other members have asked the same question ... I took it that simply trying to comprehend how to get through a day took so much energy that sleeping was a way to counteract that

do let your mother's GP know that she is sleeping so much as you clearly are a bit worried, and it's always a good idea to keep the GP up to date

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome from me too @Baxi

My wife also sleeps a lot and I think it's due to the dementia damaged brain getting exhausted quite easily, as well as old age and, perhaps, medication.

I agree that a chat with the GP is a good idea if you are worried. It may also be advisable to have the GP check for an infection if this is a sudden change.

Baxi

May 10, 2021
Thank you both for your reply, I will speak to her Gp.I don’t think she has an infection as we have tested for uti and she has just finished antibiotics. The sleepiness now appears to have a pattern,A brighter day seems to follow with this deep sleepiness.
As you will know it’s dreadful to watch, I am sad to say feel like we are just left to get on with things.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I'm sorry you feel you have been left to get on @Baxi
hopefully you now know that the folk here will offer sympathy and suggestions
and maybe have a chat with Admiral Nurses as they are there to support the carer

you mention you have a care package, maybe it's time for a re-assessment of your mum's care needs by the Local Authority Adult Services and a revised care package .... you too have the right to a carer's assessment

Bevers

Jun 23, 2021
Hi, my mother is 92,diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 16 years ago, she is at home and I care for her, she also has a care package, She has slept for long periods for a while now, appetite very poor and on supplement drinks. Sadly she is now immobile and her swallow has deteriorated.
over the last few months she has had days when she sleeps constantly, is difficult to rouse and doesn’t eat or drink, in essence sleeps all night all day and all night again. She then wakes and asks for a drink and drinks a lot all day. Has any one else experienced this
Hey there, Just read this, and I wanted to message you to let you know I am experiencing the same, my mum sleeps thee nights and two days straight at least once a week sometimes two, I take drinks up to her, even though she says she doesn't want anything, for worry of her becoming dehydrated, last week she did this twice in one week so only saw her for two full days where she was up with me downstairs, its like her battery needs charging but her charge isn't lasting as long, if you know what I mean. I have spoken to the Drs about this but they don't seem to know why she is doing this, but having researched this, Iv found it is quite common, with this illness. She gets up to go to the bathroom and then is straight back in her bed. Mum is 83 years old and was diagnosed 4 years ago, but had this long before that. I hope this helps you to know your not alone, but it is such a worry I know,

Baxi

May 10, 2021
Hey there, Just read this, and I wanted to message you to let you know I am experiencing the same, my mum sleeps thee nights and two days straight at least once a week sometimes two, I take drinks up to her, even though she says she doesn't want anything, for worry of her becoming dehydrated, last week she did this twice in one week so only saw her for two full days where she was up with me downstairs, its like her battery needs charging but her charge isn't lasting as long, if you know what I mean. I have spoken to the Drs about this but they don't seem to know why she is doing this, but having researched this, Iv found it is quite common, with this illness. She gets up to go to the bathroom and then is straight back in her bed. Mum is 83 years old and was diagnosed 4 years ago, but had this long before that. I hope this helps you to know your not alone, but it is such a worry I know,
Hi Bevers,
Thankyou for your reply, I like your analogy of a battery, it feels like that. Mum continues to be excessively sleepy with days of sleeping through. It’s a worry as she doesn’t eat on those days and drinks very little. However usually wakes and drinks lots. She is now on supplement drinks and I purée all her foods.
I have noticed that some times her excessive sleepiness coincides with her being constipated. So I am now more vigilant. Though this is hard to monitor as her nutritional and fluid intake is so variable.
As you say it’s so distressing to watch.

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
Hello, @Baxi . My PWD is my aunt, who is also 92, and has had Alzheimer’s for many years, although diagnosis is much more recent. I have found over the last couple of years that she sleeps much more, especially in the winter with darker mornings. Sometimes her carers were just waking her up at lunchtime,! it improves in the spring and summer, but there are still large portions of the day when she dozes and her night time habits are variable.
Her appetite now is poor, as are her swallowing and digestive reflexes. I try not to worry too much about her food intake as she is fairly immobile, so is expending very few calories. She luckily doesn’t seem to have suffered many infections, although I realise this could happen at any time.
Her doctor seems unconcerned as long as her vital signs are stable, which they are. Everything else is put down to an acceleration of the dementia, which they can do nothing about, so I agree that carers are left pretty much on their own to deal with the situation.
Its sad to see, but I think the reality is that this is the body slowly shutting down and there is little we can do about it. Providing the PWD isn’t suffering pain or excessive discomfort, we have no choice but to accept that we are probably witnessing the dying process which will take as long as it takes.
My aunt has major heart snd kidney problems, so it’s my fervent wish that her physical issues will be responsible for her demise before her dementia gets worse. But of course, none of us can know what’s ahead of us.

Baxi

May 10, 2021
Hi,Scarlet Lady,Thank you for your reply, I agree I think I am witnessing mum slowly shutting down.Mum does not have any other health conditions and I worry about the whole harrowing process that lies ahead for her. When awake she tires so easily any action takes all her energy.
She struggles to get her words out at times and is anxious from early afternoon,when she doesn’t know where she is,I understand this is sun downing.
occasionally throughout the day when she can follow my conversation, she does make her usual wry comments which still make me laugh, and I get lovely glimpses of my old mum, I am grateful for these moments. Just worried about the future, like most of us caring for our loved ones with this awful condition.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnieSmith