Excema?

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dehydration can cause excema,i had it as a child and was pescribed betnovate cream which worked very well.it is avaliable on prescription.Aqueous cream is good,balneum cream/oil,diprobase cream.my advice is get the GP involved to prescribe it and get it on the nhs.love elaine

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Not just for the outside .....

Margaret - I wonder how your mother's eating is? I note Nell mentioned Omega3 ....... with a hubby and son both suffering from eczema and every 'Derma-wotsit' known to man in my bathroom cupboard since the year dot we have also been forced to look at diet ......

Just a thought, Karen, x

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hello everyone, I don't know that it is eczema (which I have now learnt to spell!), it was just my daughter's idea as her flatmate has had a lifetime of it. But I thought eczema came on in childhood, not at age 80, my mum has never had any skin problem before.

I will chuck away the Imperial Leather and ask for a substitute, she had one a while ago but wasn't instructed in how to use it. Mum likes a "good wash" every day, which means lot of soap and lather and water everywhere. The cream substitute might not have satisfied that.

Yes, she does scratch and rub, problem is she dribbles from her mouth (has done for some years), so is constantly using a (old) tissue to rub her mouth and chin. I almost shouted at her today "Mum, just dab gently, don't rub, you will make it bleed" and her response "I don't care if it bleeds, I don't care about anything". Oh heck.

But it isn't only on her chin, it is up one side of her face and forehead and nose, though less sore. Very dry.

No point in asking staff to apply moisturiser, they will forget. Give it to mum and she will be applying it to her sore bottom with the same hand as she uses on her face.

Well, the doc is being called tomorrow, again, I have asked that he or he ring me to tell me the diagnosis. I know it is only minor really, but it is causing her so much distress.

There was some suggestion that kidney failure could be causing it, so I don't know what we do about that.

Thanks all

Margaret

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
MargaretW said:
Hello everyone, I don't know that it is eczema (which I have now learnt to spell!), it was just my daughter's idea as her flatmate has had a lifetime of it. But I thought eczema came on in childhood, not at age 80, my mum has never had any skin problem before.

I only developed eczema as an adult Margaret.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Just like allergies, you can develop eczema at any age. It is true that it is a common childhood complaint, and one that some children just grow out of (as some people find allergies like hayfever get less severe as they grow up). But it's perfectly possible to develop it at any age, with no apparent cause.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Thanks for all these suggestions, I have written them all down, some I have heard of, some not. Omega 3 shouldn't have suprised me - our elderly cat who died in November had special biscuits with extra Omega 3 cos he had - eczema! (And they helped him a lot). Dehydration is another issue, mum likes to drink water (not a lot, a couple of glasses a day), but the water in her washbasin is not drinking water. I have asked to staff to provide a jug at night, not a chance! Probably no chance with the Omega 3 either (I think she could swallow them).

My daughter visited her this evening, the senior care worker was applying some new(?) cream to her face. Catherine asked what the cause was and was told "I don't want to tell you here, I will tell you in private later". But the care worker had disappeared and couldn't be found. So I will have to try and get there early tomorrow morning before my stint of teaching till 9 p.m. to find out. Pity a doctor's secretary can't just give me a call to explain, rather like solicitors' secretaries do.

I'll keep you informed.

Love to all, and thanks again. What would I do without this site? Even for a minor problem you have turned out in force.

Margaret

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Doc prescribed another lot of hydrocortisone ointment, it did the trick within a day, he has prescribed some kind of moisturiser for when the hydrocortisone is finished, nobody tells me what it is.

She is frightened of it coming back, but the care worker told us today it is likely to be permanent!

What does anyone think about the water in her room?

Stress?

I must talk to the doc - but hey, this all takes up time!

Margaret

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Margaret, if the home isn`t happy about your mother having a jug of drinking water in her room, which I can understand, I don`t see why they can`t give her a couple of glasses a day. It`s not much to ask.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Doc prescribed another lot of hydrocortisone ointment, it did the trick within a day, he has prescribed some kind of moisturiser for when the hydrocortisone is finished, nobody tells me what it is.

She is frightened of it coming back, but the care worker told us today it is likely to be permanent!
{
I would think that if it was eczema it is possible it may come back at some point. The best thing is to keep it as well moisturised as possible to reduce the chances of this happening.

I wouldn't have thought it was up to the care worker to make predictions!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnieSmith