Exact diagnosis..?

GarageDragon

Jan 20, 2015
Does anyone know if the exact diagnosis is very important? When my mother was given her diagnosis, we were told that it was mixed Alzheimer's and vascular dementia, but in all the paperwork from thereon in, the diagnosis is listed as 'Alzheimer's, atypical or mixed type F002'. Googling has left me unsure as to whether the 'F002' gives the vascular component. I also do not know if it will actually make a difference to anything in the long (or indeed short) term?

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Does anyone know if the exact diagnosis is very important? When my mother was given her diagnosis, we were told that it was mixed Alzheimer's and vascular dementia, but in all the paperwork from thereon in, the diagnosis is listed as 'Alzheimer's, atypical or mixed type F002'. Googling has left me unsure as to whether the 'F002' gives the vascular component. I also do not know if it will actually make a difference to anything in the long (or indeed short) term?

I am not sure it really makes any difference. My O H has had a similar experience. Her first diagnosis was mixed dementia, then mild cognitive impairment with vascular changes now vascular dementia. Apparently it is all calculated guess work, even with scans. It also appear that treatment regimes work for some and and make no difference to others. Hope others will be along soon to share their experiences.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi no idea on types, but it was explained to me that people with Alzheimer's decline steadily, whilst those with vascular dementia decline stepwise, each step corresponding with a mini stroke (TIA). My OH also has both and at the beginning his decline was steady, but lately he has been getting quite a lot of TIAs and he's plummeted! So it has helped me to cope.

You only need 'dementia' to get any allowances, like AA, and council tax changing. Also get LPAs sorted at least, you don't have to activate them immediately
Good luck!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I will add, having read greys post, that donepezil and other drugs are said to slow down the rate of decline in Alzheimer's , with vascular there is nothing specific except that you keep healthy, low cholesterol, etc. However, all these drugs have side effects. Up to you what you do,

Demonica66

Oct 23, 2014
Hi Garage Dragon,
My Mum was diagnosed with vascular dementia last year. She was also exhibiting signs of Korsakoff's (she was alcohol dependent) as she 'confabulated;' convincing hospital staff that she was on holiday and her parents were still alive. However, this appears to be part of her vascular dementia, as it has not reduced despite her being tee-total now.

Also, unlike Alzheimer's, her deterioration is in stages; she can be stable for months and then appears to become more immobile, confused and reliant on carers. This apparently, is the path that vascular dementia takes. CT scans of Mum's brain have shown multiple small infarcts (which have caused minor strokes) throughout her lobes. This is why a definitive diagnosis of vascular dementia was given.

Was diagnosis important to me? Not really. I knew Mum was deteriorating and she needed reassurance, love and care. I was also told that it was irreversible which helped me to make some long-term decisions on her welfare. It did not really provide me with any closure, nor has it. Every day brings new challenges and I seem to learn 'on the job.' Googling did me absolutely no good at all; my Mum is neither typical or atypical of symptoms. Her personality affects her symptoms and vice-versa. Care is very much in the 'here and now' as nothing can be certain. Mum 'ploughs her own furrow' so to speak.

I don't think my post will help really, but please know that the support you will get here is worth so much. XXX

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

GarageDragon

Jan 20, 2015
Thank you so very much for your replies - I was worried that care might somehow need to be different, taking into account the vascular component, but you have reassured me. Of worries I may have plenty, but I shall (try to) cease and desist on that one!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My Mum was diagnosed as Mixed. She was given Aricept to help slow the AZ part...it may or may not worked ( who knows):rolleyes: I would think the the VasD was perhaps prevalent due to her symptom pattern but at the end of the day ( horrid cliche I know) it didn't matter. She died last February aged 88 and 9 months about 7 years post diagnosis.