Ex-carer and contribution based jsa

trier50

Aug 13, 2015
Sussex by the sea
Hi everyone,
I wonder if someone who has been down this road could advise me. My mother sadly passed away a couple of months ago after years of living with dementia.
I was her carer for several years on carers allowance with class 1 NI contributions credited definately.
When I recently tried to claim contribution based jsa. I received a letter saying I had not been paid or credited with enough class 1s for the years ending April 2013 and 2014.
When I phoned jsa to correct them the man was insistent that I hadn't. He advised to get the records from HMRC. I have applied online but apparently they could take weeks to arrive.
At jc+ my work coach was sceptical and thought there was a difference between credits and actual payments and I probably wasn't going to be eligible.
I am going to wait for Hmrc to send docs. then take them to jc+ to scan and send on,then hope.
Does anyone have experience of this situation ?
What was the outcome ?
Thanks in advance.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Hi trier, I am the person who originally started a thread on this topic last year. I did get my NI record and from what I remember it came quite quickly from HMRC so I would urge you to apply.

This is not an answer to your query because I am still a carer so haven't actually had to look into getting JSA yet. However, apart from not having a complete year of NI credits for the previous year, I found I wouldn't qualify as my other income - from small occupational pensions - would be counted as sufficient to live on. See below:-

"3. How much is contribution-based JSA?

The rate for contribution-based JSA is:

age under 25 - £57.90
age 25 or over - £73.10

If you receive an income of over £50 a week from an occupational or personal pension, this will be deducted from the amount of contribution-based JSA you get. For example, if your pension is £55 a week, £5 will be deducted from your benefit. If your pension income is below £50 per week, then your contribution-based JSA is unaffected."

I don't know if this applies to you, but thought I would mention it just in case.

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
Hi Trier

The new rules for JSA is that you can now earn £85 from a pension before they take some JSA away then for every £1 over £85 they they take 50p. My husband is now on JSA as he has been medically retired from his job and the DWP advised me of this last week. I know this doesn't answer you originally question but I though it may help.

trier50

Aug 13, 2015
Sussex by the sea
To Nitra, Nitram and Alison,
Thanks for your replies. I have applied to HMRC but there e-mail response warned it might take several weeks to get the info. to me.
Apparently there is a time limit for any appeal so I must remember to contact jsa and put them in the picture so they don't close anything down.
I don't have a private pension,just savings, so that won't apply.
I must say having read some of the threads on this site my problems seem very small by comparison.
Regards.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Having read a number of threads where carers were discussing the implications of giving up work to become full-time carers, I don't think this is trivial at all!

It's vital information not just for you but for many other people to understand how these rules work. So please keep posting as you find out more. Very good point also about making sure you submit an appeal within the deadline.

trier50

Aug 13, 2015
Sussex by the sea
Having read a number of threads where carers were discussing the implications of giving up work to become full-time carers, I don't think this is trivial at all!

It's vital information not just for you but for many other people to understand how these rules work. So please keep posting as you find out more. Very good point also about making sure you submit an appeal within the deadline.

You're quite right Pickles.
I will keep this thread updated and publish the final outcome to help others.
All the best.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
You're quite right Pickles.
I will keep this thread updated and publish the final outcome to help others.
All the best.

I found this on the gov.uk website which says that you are eligible if you have enough NI credits in the two relevant benefit years which amounts at least 50 x the lower earnings limit.

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/print

Lower earnings limit for each tax year is also given.

Last edited:

trier50

Aug 13, 2015
Sussex by the sea
I found this on the gov.uk website which says that you are eligible if you have enough NI credits in the two relevant benefit years which amounts at least 50 x the lower earnings limit.

Lower earnings limit for each tax year is also given.
Thanks Pickles,
Looking at this fact sheet makes things a little clearer and yet...
My job coach in JC+ showed me my contributions on her screen for the 2 years that jsa are using.
Those figures were certainly more than 50 times the lower limit as laid down by the second condition.
However I didn't work for 26 weeks in either of these years as the first condition demands...I was too busy being a carer.
I'm beginning to have more and more doubts that I'll be eligible.
Oh well I'll still lodge the Hmrc papers with the jsa.When they come to a final decision hopefully they'll explain it clearly once and for all.
Regards.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi trier50

You could always go to CAB, their advisors are well clued up, better than the Gov. ones at times.

Hope you get something
Best wishes
Sue

trier50

Aug 13, 2015
Sussex by the sea
I have just re-read the letter from jsa turning me down.
Interestingly they say they cannot pay me because 'you have not paid, or been credited with, enough class 1 NI contributions' in the years ending April 2013 and April 2014
I'm sure this is wrong.
There is no mention of the absence of 26 weeks work.
This is a real puzzle.
Thanks Sue the CAB could well know best.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
You could be entitled to Income Support but savings would have a bearing on qualification.

It's like wading through mud.

Some sites say Carers Allowance equal Class 1 contribution but digging further leads to Class 3.

Google to see if you have a Welfare Rights Organisation in your area, they are easier to access than CAB.

This is another thread on the same issues.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...lowance-NI-Credits-do-they-entitle-you-to-JSA

Last edited:

trier50

Aug 13, 2015
Sussex by the sea
Another forum

Hi everyone,
Just to update you.
I have read on 'entitledto' site that credits to carers are treated as actual payments.
I phoned jsa about this but the man I spoke to was unaware of this and said the office expert on the ins and outs was not in the office.He said he'll pass this on.
I have also found a thread on the carers uk site from 2 years ago by someone who was in the same position.Unfortunately the thread was locked.However I have sent a PM asking how his case was resolved.I will pass on any information if he responds.
Regards.
P.S. The thread was called 'Refused contribution based jsa'

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im afraid I dont know the answer to your question, but one thing I do know is that most job centres are not clued up where it comes to carers and their allowances. Places like CAB are much better.
I hope you find an answer soon.

trier50

Aug 13, 2015
Sussex by the sea
Just a quick update.
I contacted hmrc today, over five weeks after applying online for my NI record for the two years.They have no record of my application !
They will send me what I need within 15 working days.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Oh trier! Why is everything made so difficult!

Agree about the importance of raising your case with CAB as quickly as you can. Your CAB advisor may even be willing to help out with the leg work ('phone calls and emails to the people you're currently having to deal with on your own).

trier50

Aug 13, 2015
Sussex by the sea
Turned down - official !

Hi everyone,
Sorry about the delay in updating.It turned out as expected.
I discussed my situation with the CAB and they said I wouldn't qualify because although I had the credits I didn't have the 26 weeks actual payments, as referred to earlier in the thread.
I forwarded my statement from HMRC to jsa and they confirmed what CAB had told me.So there we go.
There is something from CarersUK that may help others though. If someone made actual payments in the 2 years before claiming CA they seemed to think it could be linked. This doesn't apply to me but may help others.
i.e. if someone had paid contributions 2006/07 and 2007/08,
and had then become a carer in 2009 the DWP could link right back to 06/07 and 07/08 and use those 2 years to satisfy the 2 conditions.
I hope this helps someone.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Thank you for updating us, Trier. It must be a blow to know you aren't entitled to anything, after years of caring. You not only lose your income for that time but your rights to certain benefits. Does this mean you'll be looking for a job? Have you got many years to go before retirement. Please let us know how you get on and good luck.

trier50

Aug 13, 2015
Sussex by the sea
Thank you Nita.
I am a long way off retirement and am currently studying/retraining.
The refusal of benefit wasn't a massive blow, although a bit of extra money for a while would have been useful, as I didn't really think I'd get it.

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
This is all just so so wrong. I'd write to my MP outlining exactly what my situation was if I were you, Trier. This is clearly a shocking loophole which means that so many carers are jeopardising their financial future by looking after their loved ones and certainly needs to be addressed if Jeremy Hunt expects more of us to take in our elderly relatives as the population ages because the government won;t be able to provide sufficient care for everyone!

I am fearful for my future. I gave up work in March to look after Mum and Dad. By the time it's all over I could easily be in my 50s with a big gap in employment history and no savings. It's useful to know the caveat about having worked within the previous two years and I will certainly remember that if they haven't moved the goalposts by then.

We really are the forgotten people aren't we? :mad: