eviction from care home

cazunhappy

Jun 20, 2016
my father has dementia and has been in his current care home for almost 4 years.recently he hit another resident whilst in a communal lounge what was unsupervised by any staff even though there were around 5-6 other residents in the lounge.i was asked to attend a meeting and was told dads behaviour over the past months was becoming more of a threat and that they could no longer look after dad even though he is on a dementia unit.the behaviour includes throwing a towle at another resident.threatening staff with fruit.throwing his juice at another resident who entered his room whilst he was asleep and was hitting out at him.dad is usually very mild mannered and i feel he was provoked into the behaviour.he sits on his own in his room most days watching tv and never bothers anyone.he can be cantancaras but not violent.the only place we can find is over 10 miles away and i have 2 jobs and care for my grandchild each day after school so it is virtually impossible to go visit dad as regular as i do at the moment{2-3 times per week}i have tried everything but am at my wits end.can they evict him on these grounds and can they move him so far away from family:(

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Caz, welcome to TP
Once his behaviour becomes too challenging for a home sadly I can't see they have any choice but to say so, they can't take the risk of him hurting someone seriously.
Everyone in the home is someone else's relative and I wouldn't want my wife being left with someone who, for whatever reason might hurt her.
Places that will take challenging behaviour aren't that common and 10 miles is a long way short of some of the distances I've heard quoted even though I live in a large city.
As I say it's sad he has to move but it's in his best interest to be somewhere his behaviour can be managed properly for his own good and those around him.
K

Ginny Hendricks

Feb 18, 2016
Hello. It sounds to me as if the care home hasn't been looking after your father properly; residents shouldn't be left unsupervised nor should they be wandering into others' rooms. If aggressive behaviour's unusual for your father it's worth seeing if he might have a urine infection; has anyone suggested this? Have you spoken to social services about the home? They need to know if residents are being neglected.

It could be, of course, that you father really can't be safely cared for in this home any longer but I hope you can resolve the situation. Good luck.

cazunhappy

Jun 20, 2016
eviction from a care home

Hi Caz, welcome to TP
Once his behaviour becomes too challenging for a home sadly I can't see they have any choice but to say so, they can't take the risk of him hurting someone seriously.
Everyone in the home is someone else's relative and I wouldn't want my wife being left with someone who, for whatever reason might hurt her.
Places that will take challenging behaviour aren't that common and 10 miles is a long way short of some of the distances I've heard quoted even though I live in a large city.
As I say it's sad he has to move but it's in his best interest to be somewhere his behaviour can be managed properly for his own good and those around him.
K

hi thank you for your replyi fully understand what you are saying but dad has never being violent other than this recent episode and he knows he did wrong but as he finds it hard to walk without a frame and was just defending himself. also was left unattended i think it was very unfair to evict him.

cazunhappy

Jun 20, 2016
unfair

Hello. It sounds to me as if the care home hasn't been looking after your father properly; residents shouldn't be left unsupervised nor should they be wandering into others' rooms. If aggressive behaviour's unusual for your father it's worth seeing if he might have a urine infection; has anyone suggested this? Have you spoken to social services about the home? They need to know if residents are being neglected.

It could be, of course, that you father really can't be safely cared for in this home any longer but I hope you can resolve the situation. Good luck.

hi thank you for your reply.i know from other experiences that dad has not been cared for properly on numerous occasions and many times these things are not recorded and i have spoken to social services about my findings.the police are involved over one incident as i found it was abuse against a vulnerable adult.as i said in the post dad can be cantancaras n refuse his meds ect but never usually violent.there are certain staff who he does dislike and he can be awkward towards them but there is usually a reason he takes a dislike to a member of staff.he has been checked for urine infection but all was fine.i will keep trying to find dad somewhere more local but he has to move on saturday 10 miles away which is stress for him and for me

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If the staff are leaving the residents unattended in this so called dementia unit, then, quite frankly, Id be looking for a new home for him anyway.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
My mum went to a nursing home because she was too aggressive and too challenging

They have more staff and she seems more settled

It's not always for the worst​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife