Evenings oh so awful

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Just read your beautiful beautiful post about bed time Lowlander. I think when my mum was at that stage I was permanently too stressed to even think of saying those lovely things you said.
Just amazing caring. In awe of you xx

Lowlander

Jun 3, 2013
Scotland
Just read your beautiful beautiful post about bed time Lowlander. I think when my mum was at that stage I was permanently too stressed to even think of saying those lovely things you said.
Just amazing caring. In awe of you xx

That is so kind of you to write that to me.
I think reading people's kind replies here has given me confidence.

I saw my husband in the hospital today. He has to be officially detained now so that restraint and IM sedation can be used legally.
I didn't know what on earth to talk about to him. When you are sitting with a nurse only feet away, I feel a bit inhibited normally.
Apparently he had not slept all night.
So I said similar things, ie about resting his body, about resting his mind. The need to let thoughts come, and then just go .. like clouds. Rest restores, how interesting the similarity of the words......
He watched my lips as I spoke. He...concentrated.
L

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Lowlander

Your post made me cry. Why is that I do not think of such things. Very moving. You are wonderful with your hubby xx

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Like the bit in Macbeth

Sleep that knits up the raveled sleave of care,
The death of each day’s life, sore labour's bath,
Balm of hurt minds, great nature’s second course,
Chief nourisher in life’s feast.

Lainey 127

Nov 25, 2012
Liverpool UK
Oh I know what you mean! My Mum is just the same; fine all day but turns into a different person at 5pm. She becomes abusive, bad tempered, agitated and very destructive. It takes me all my time to keep up with her; sometimes I have to sit in another room for ten minutes just for some peace and to.calm down. If there's an answer let me know!
Hope things get better for you soon.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Lainey 127

My answer is to walk out the room! It sounds so easy doesn't it but it is not and it does not always work :eek:

Lowlander

Jun 3, 2013
Scotland
Oh I know what you mean! My Mum is just the same; fine all day but turns into a different person at 5pm. She becomes abusive, bad tempered, agitated and very destructive. It takes me all my time to keep up with her; sometimes I have to sit in another room for ten minutes just for some peace and to.calm down. If there's an answer let me know!
Hope things get better for you soon.

My husband's mood could change to violence in a split second.
I had to walk away too. Sometimes he was hitting himself, but if I tried to prevent it, he would hit me. Even going out of the room didnt always work. For me that is. I would just sit and seethe.

Once, when he tried to assault me, I went directly up to him and put my arms round him in a hug. This completely changed his mood and he forgot his anger.
But he was in a NH then. I had the nursing sister in the room with me. I don't think I could have risked it at home on my own.

Austinsmum

Oct 7, 2012
Melton Mowbray
Austin's mum, isn't funny how ones perspective changes in our situation. You say 'usual stuff', not sure how usual it would be to my friends etc but we say you know all the usual stuff! MIL has cut the nets in her bedroom. We can't be bothered to replace them as she will only do it again :eek:

You said you are buying horses???? Oh I love horses. I was an avid rider when I was younger. Loved show jumping etc but then I got married and it was out of the question due to financial reasons. I went back again about 7 years ago when I was 51 and again absolutely loved it. I never went out just rode inside to make things safe due to my age. I lost loads of weight too. But then I had a horse I had never ridden and should have refused because when cantering I was well and truly thrown. Apparently I was unconscious for about 10 minutes. They called 999 obviously. I got away with just breaking my arm and shoulder in 5 places. I had all the safety gear on known to mankind thankfully

So now I don't ride anymore unfortunately

Lowlander I think you do a grand job. I have to lock all the doors here too. We have the French windows open but the gate has a lock on it so we know MIL is safe and not roaming the streets when she doesn't know this address!

Hastings was an absolute disaster :eek: Never again. MIL was so so so confused. Routine had gone which I thought maybe a problem but didn't realise it would be so horrendous! The only good things was we went to The Pilot in Dungeness and had fish and chips which was gorgeous BUT everyone was staring at MIL due to the way she was eating i.e. stuffing and mean stuffing the food in her mouth. She had finished and started to get ready to leave and we had literally just started our food (and we are fast eaters too)! We 'stare' into space and try to pretend we are unaware of things. Mind you we starting to 'not bat an eyelid' to it now

Gorgeous day again here xx

Bit of a bummer 1954, getting dumped that is and finishing up in A&E...and it stopping you riding...really sorry it cut you short and hope your shoulder functions normally now?
Update on the Irish horses is; two of the three shortlisted failed the vet (x-rays + flection tests) but the other has arrived here and is awaiting a flight to Toronto from Amsterdam - that way they can avoid a 17 day quarantine in Chicago or JFK. The other two horses on the pallet (from Holland and Germany) are currently quarantining at Schipol Pet Palace (Amsterdam Airport) Meantime it transpires that KLM has allowed their Flight qualified grooms to have August off... so... horses are ready to ship and in expensive accommodation, flights booked...but no grooms and they won’t accept freelance grooms (me)... Meantime, I get to look out of my bedroom window at a ‘gorgeous’ horse, which makes me smile. He is such a sweetie. X

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
It's not gonna be liked but I'm gonna say it anyway....horses being flown about in planes and sitting in airports, sickens me.

Kate66

Mar 13, 2013
It's not gonna be liked but I'm gonna say it anyway....horses being flown about in planes and sitting in airports, sickens me.

Garnuft, why? The means by which they fly is amazing. Basically they go 3 together in a horse-box type container, with endless water and hay in front of them. A full time professional groom is in the hold with them and the hold is pressurized and air conditioned. Most horses are totally happy flying, unlike us humans who are stuck in a tiny seat that we can barely wiggle in.

They are never allowed to stay in airports for more than 2 hours I think, and the quarantine facilities are generally 5 star barns.

I've just moved from Texas to Scotland and am contemplating flying my horse and daughter's pony over.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Bit of a bummer 1954, getting dumped that is and finishing up in A&E...and it stopping you riding...really sorry it cut you short and hope your shoulder functions normally now?
Update on the Irish horses is; two of the three shortlisted failed the vet (x-rays + flection tests) but the other has arrived here and is awaiting a flight to Toronto from Amsterdam - that way they can avoid a 17 day quarantine in Chicago or JFK. The other two horses on the pallet (from Holland and Germany) are currently quarantining at Schipol Pet Palace (Amsterdam Airport) Meantime it transpires that KLM has allowed their Flight qualified grooms to have August off... so... horses are ready to ship and in expensive accommodation, flights booked...but no grooms and they won’t accept freelance grooms (me)... Meantime, I get to look out of my bedroom window at a ‘gorgeous’ horse, which makes me smile. He is such a sweetie. X

How lovely :)

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Garnuft, why? The means by which they fly is amazing. Basically they go 3 together in a horse-box type container, with endless water and hay in front of them. A full time professional groom is in the hold with them and the hold is pressurized and air conditioned. Most horses are totally happy flying, unlike us humans who are stuck in a tiny seat that we can barely wiggle in.

They are never allowed to stay in airports for more than 2 hours I think, and the quarantine facilities are generally 5 star barns.

I've just moved from Texas to Scotland and am contemplating flying my horse and daughter's pony over.

I don't know really, I suppose it's worry that they are afraid, all the noise and stuff.
Do they tranquilise them to travel? Mind you, I always feel sorry for all animals flying.
No logic to it.

Austinsmum

Oct 7, 2012
Melton Mowbray
I don't know really, I suppose it's worry that they are afraid, all the noise and stuff.
Do they tranquilise them to travel? Mind you, I always feel sorry for all animals flying.
No logic to it.

The horses aren’t worried Garnuft, a bit bored perhaps but what they do have in spades is patience, so it’s exceptionally rare to have to sedate one. It’s so expensive to ship (fly) a horse that only expensive horses get shipped. i.e. competition horses that are used to travelling long distances anyway. Racehorses fly back and forth to the gulf states all the time. Thankfully though, the rules have changed recently to allow the horses to be last on first off - unlike about ten years ago when it was the other way around. So next time you fly on a jumbo, unbeknown to you it could be a combi-jet - half cargo, half passengers. Take a look backwards out the window and it’s possible you might see cherry pickers loading cargo, there might even be horses on your flight.