Essential carer visit times

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Hi i been given essential carer for the dementia assessment unit my dads in but the manager has intially said im only allowed in half hour x 3 times a wk i questioned it wnd said no that’s not right that’s normal visit time then she changed it to hour n half x 3 times a week can anyone tell if as a essential carer i can go longer and for more days or depend on individual care homes i checked the rights for residents website n says can go as many times as you want ie like staff

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
It will be up to the individual home. I'd not make waves.
1 1/2 hours x 3 is about 10 times more than most people get at the moment

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I thought the whole point of your dad going in care was because you couldn’t cope? You need to let people get on and do their job. Going in too often doesn’t give a chance for your dad to get to know them. Or they him. They have to develop a relationship with him but they won’t be if you are there too often..

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
I thought the whole point of your dad going in care was because you couldn’t cope? You need to let people get on and do their job. Going in too often doesn’t give a chance for your dad to get to know them. Or they him. They have to develop a relationship with him but they won’t be if you are there too often..
It was but id still like to go there's only 2 carers so how can he build a relationship with them they are doing paperwork all the time .and personal care /putting laundry away .i dont think 1/hour x 30 minutes is a lot especially as im helping clean hes teeth helping with personal care and taking him out in the garden .he didn’t gp into a home because of personal care he went because he was hallucinating paronoid and restless and trying to get out of the door .and aggressive to me
Doesn’t mean that i dont want to see him anymore or leave him there and only see him once a week
im sure loads of carers went everyday or 5 days a week before covid ? dont see your point here or the problem of me being there
Are you saying that I shouldn’t visit or just be there rarely

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
It was but id still like to go there's only 2 carers so how can he build a relationship with them they are doing paperwork all the time .and personal care /putting laundry away .i dont think 1/hour x 30 minutes is a lot especially as im helping clean hes teeth helping with personal care and taking him out in the garden .he didn’t gp into a home because of personal care he went because he was hallucinating paronoid and restless and trying to get out of the door .and aggressive to me
Doesn’t mean that i dont want to see him anymore or leave him there and only see him once a week
im sure loads of carers went everyday or 5 days a week before covid ? dont see your point here or the problem of me being there
Are you saying that I shouldn’t visit or just be there rarely
I just thought that he would need to rely on them a bit more. It doesn’t mean you can’t go . It would be more restful for you if they took more off your shoulders.
I didn’t realise there were only two carers.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
he needs to rely on the carers and for you to become a son again. course you need to visit but let the carers in as well. what happens if you are ill and cant go for a few days, the carers would have to do it all. i think your dad would get used to it too because he would have to if you werent there. they need to get to know him and build up a rapport with him, what works and what doesnt. they need to learn that without you doing everything.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Have you managed to find any time to start sorting out where you are going to be living? Are you going to be able to live in what was dads flat? You need to put some time and energy into that, dont you?

3 times a week is fine- how are the carers ever going to be able to deal with your dad f you are always there.?

Last edited:

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
I just thought that he would need to rely on them a bit more. It doesn’t mean you can’t go . It would be more restful for you if they took more off your shoulders.
I didn’t realise there were only two carers.
There's only 2 carers to 9 at night only 1
They have no time to talk
Most of the activities take place on the ground floor they are not taken down my dads on the third
There isnt much care as hes feet were all dirty hes not had a shower or bwth in about 3 weeks the keyworker didn’t even know he wore pull ups when i cqlled the unit yesterday and asked me were hes pants were?
hes teeth not done im doing them i have boight a toothbrush in and sterdent but no care plan despite me telling the manager that he needs them done x 3 times a week at least

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Have you managed to find any time to start sorting out where you are going to be living? Are you going to be able to live in what was dads flat? You need to put some time and energy into that, dont you?

3 times a week is fine- how are the carers ever going to be able to deal with your dad f you are always there.?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Most of the activities take place on the ground floor they are not taken down my dads on the third
There isnt much care as hes feet were all dirty hes not had a shower or bwth in about 3 weeks the keyworker didn’t even know he wore pull ups when i cqlled the unit yesterday and asked me were hes pants were?
hes teeth not done im doing them i have boight a toothbrush in and sterdent but no care plan despite me telling the manager that he needs them done x 3 times a week at least
is there a sleep person as well that can get up in an emergency?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
How come he hasnt had a shower or a bath? Still resisting personal care?
Surley his teeth need doing every day?

Had you not noticed he wasnt wearing pads/pull ups? Its not unusual to put pants/boxers over pul ups

What activities take place dow stairs thathe might like to join in with? Have you asked? I guess they are still trying to settle him. its very early days still

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
How come he hasnt had a shower or a bath? Still resisting personal care?
Surley his teeth need doing every day?

Had you not noticed he wasnt wearing pads/pull ups? Its not unusual to put pants/boxers over pul ups

What activities take place dow stairs thathe might like to join in with? Have you asked? I guess they are still trying to settle him. its very early days still
I don’t know why he hasn’t had a shower properly because they dont have enough time one care worker mentioned she was going give him a shower but he hasn’t had one as hes feet reecked the other day i washed them in a bowl hes feet also swollen and i rung hes dr to rung the home which was hassle as dr moaning but ivstill haven’t switched drs as my dad with same surgery for 25 yrs anyway surgery zoom calked home n looked at hes feet said tgey need to elevate them Im possible with my dad he keeps walking .also told me they run out of tablets so i was trying to sort that n I emailed the dr still hasnt got bck to me
No I didn’t notice as i wasn’t allowed in yesterday the keyworker asked were hes pants are i said he doesn’t wear them again no care plan you see i find it shocking that if he was dog you woukd know how many times he gets walked fed etc if you left it in kennels

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
No, there cannot be only 1- there has to be more than that even if they cover more than one floor.

Dont supose his old GP even covers the home, and he wont know his new meds regime anyway
i agree with @Jessbow [second time!!] there has to be more than 1 on even if they cover all floors for fire precautions at very least thats why i questioned it. they usually have their own neighbourhood gps so they are the ones that see the residents. its easier for continuity or can signed on as a temporary patient for 3 months before they are made permanent if he moves

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
You say your father hadn't had a shower...is that because he refuses personal care or is it because there's not enough staff / carers can't be bothered?

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
You say your father hadn't had a shower...is that because he refuses personal care or is it because there's not enough staff / carers can't be bothered?
I discussed it with assistant manager told her if he wont shower then can at least they wash hes feet top n tail him n do teeth once a week i said i left sterdent in bathroom then she said you shouldn’t have left it there i said was told to i said im happy to do my dads teerh but if i get sick needs to be a care plan
Hes troushers are all missing too 6 th time ive bought it up n i told them hes got at least 10 pairs of trousers i bought some bck ro wash n bought ten left there every time i come theres no trushers and the carer was one that said we got no trousers for him in-told get i bought new trousers on Saturday from m n s n bought least 10 pairs in hes never got any? ive lableed them so unless he is hiding them which I doubt they are getting stolen lost or given to other residents
They also keep locking hes wardbrode so i cant check he cant dress himself or try on clothes which he likes to do i keep telling them to please leave it dont lock it i cant get hes coat to take him to the garden or check what clothes hes got feels like all freedom slowly taking away i think they are locking it because hes weeing in there by accident why don’t they just say
Nobody listens i Told the assistant manager today and about the trousers she said she will check the landry if they wre in laundry it must take a week for them to come bck as hes never got any or just 2 piars at a time ? but they saying dont buy more i have to hes never got any trousers it’s driving me mad i told her about hes care plan n that why hasnt it been written in a care plan about the fact he doesn’t wear pants only pull ups and carer asking me were hes pants the keyworker should know already whats the point of being a keyworker if they dont know the basic care ie he needs pull ups had false teeth n if refused bath just help to wash him at least once a week god almighty ?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
they should do a strip wash every day and shower once or twice a week. dentures every day. the steradent should be kept somewhere else because its a hazard taken in quantity would it help to list things like pull ups and trousers so they can see it, like an inventory so you can point to it when saying to them. he might be resisting and they can only keep trying. dont relate it to you, he has a different mindset. they will find them if they have to look in every wardrobe. the lock i can understand as its hard to clean out a wardrobe rather than floor or bin. calm down as you have to be careful not to get their backs up. if you are so alarmed, speak to CQC. there are other ways of dealing with it

Lone Wolf

Sep 20, 2020
Hi i been given essential carer for the dementia assessment unit my dads in but the manager has intially said im only allowed in half hour x 3 times a wk i questioned it wnd said no that’s not right that’s normal visit time then she changed it to hour n half x 3 times a week can anyone tell if as a essential carer i can go longer and for more days or depend on individual care homes i checked the rights for residents website n says can go as many times as you want ie like staff
There is no right or wrong about the frequency of visting. No-one can make judgements about your relationship with your Dad and how that might impact on the frequency of visiting to both ensure his mental wellbeing (as much as is possible) but also that he is receiving appropriate standards of care. The essence of essential caregiver status is that a close relationship which is essential for wellbeing can be maintained, and after all it is a basic human right to maintain family relationships in care. The priority is your Dad and the adequacy of his care. I suggest phoning the Admiral Nurse helpline to discuss your queries and concerns - I have found them to be very good for expert advice on these sorts of issues.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
There is no right or wrong about the frequency of visting. No-one can make judgements about your relationship with your Dad and how that might impact on the frequency of visiting to both ensure his mental wellbeing (as much as is possible) but also that he is receiving appropriate standards of care. The essence of essential caregiver status is that a close relationship which is essential for wellbeing can be maintained, and after all it is a basic human right to maintain family relationships in care. The priority is your Dad and the adequacy of his care. I suggest phoning the Admiral Nurse helpline to discuss your queries and concerns - I have found them to be very good for expert advice on these sorts of issues.
Well they have and said i can only visit 3 days a week for hour a half n then take him out for two hours the manager made judgement

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix77