esme care and continuing care?

j.j

Jan 8, 2007
hi
Just wondering if anyone could give me any info on esme care and continuing care,
my mam was in an emi secure residential homefor three months, we chose this home as we were told she could move to nursing within the same home as her az got worse. She is now in an assesment unit as she could be very agitated at times, we have had a meeting today and were told mam needs esme care (does anyone know what that stands for?)
There are three such homes in our area and mam would probably go to the one which had a vacancy first although we will visit them first.
We were contributing mams pension for the fees at her home but have been told today that she won,t need to do this in an esme home because of continuing care, we are very confused as to what it is all about, any info would be appreciated.
j.j

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Welcome to talking point.
I cannot tell you what esme care is,maybe someone else on this site can or you could telephone the Alzheimer's help line.
The only esme care that I am aware off concerned the lady ,100 years old ,her name was Esme,who was to be moved from her NH.
Sorry can't be more helpful
Norman:confused:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
J.J. - I'm wondering if it could be ESMI instead of ESME. ESMI stands for Elderly Severly Mentally Ill (or Infirm).

It seems to be a question of degree. Some areas have dropped this term as being outdated and refer to "Critical Level of Mental Health Need" which has a definition of

The persons lifestyle, behaviour or self –care presents an immediate,
serious risk /threat to the survival, health or safety of the individual or
others, or there is an immediate risk to the person’s mental well being.

From what you say, your mother is now eligible for full NHS continuing care due to the severity of her illness, which is why she will no longer need to contribute her pension. Basically, if it is determined that all (or the majority) of her problems are due to illness (rather than "social care") then the NHS picks up the entire bill. Now obviously, this makes no sense to most of us: dementia is an organic disease, yet most sufferers are considered to require social ratehr than nursing care. However, it would appear that in your mother's case, possibly because of the difficulty in managing her symptoms, she has been determined to be eligible for full NHS continuing care.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa