Episodic morning confusion

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Hi from New Zealand.

Dads been hospitalised twice in 12 weeks. First time was a UTI and was treated with anti B drip. He had mild delirium, and I would say hes never recovered.
2 weeks ago much the same symptoms, he woke early, confusion, agitation, could hardly string a sentence together.
So expecting another UTI I called an ambulance.

This time he was kept in for 2 nights. UTI negative. Bloods taken, chest Xray & CT, head CT.
The only thing they found was scarring on his lungs which they are investigating.
As Dad has orthostatic hypotension, and a high caffeine/sugar intake ( which we cannot change) I asked if these episodes could be blood sugar/blood pressure related after last meal at 5pm and lying in bed all night?
They couldnt say.
However after 2 nights in hospital, he was the model patient :rolleyes: They observed no behaviour issues but wondered if it was sundowning ( but in the A.M.)
The day I picked him up and the next day he was quite good.
So much to say I think he enjoyed being in hospital ?

The next morning, my brother who lives with Dad phoned me to come over.
Confusion & agitation again, and a poo explosion, which he attempted to clean up but had trekked it through the carpets, on his chair, on the back if his pants and jumper.
He did change his underpants and wash them, but oblivious to the resulting mess.
We managed to get him back in the bath and clean clothes, with much protest.

This past week, no episodes at all.
I am just monitoring how things go. He has had toileting accidents before but not this bad, where he was covered in it but didnt realise.
To be honest Im not sure if I could cope if this is a sign of things to come.
I never experienced this with Mum.

So anybodys thoughts of low BP/high blood sugar? Or could this be episodic sundowning??

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Ambulance crew and hospital checked for this.
He had no facial droop or weakness, wasn't unsteady on his feet, no headache, and Head CT showed nothing of significance, just age related compared to Head MRI 5 yrs ago ?
He could talk but two or three words, not a complete sentence. He passed all the Neurological tests they do at A&E, other than them having to give him the same instruction 2 or 3 times

Last edited:

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
" So much to say I think he enjoyed being in hospital"
Would he enjoy being in a Care Home now?
Could this be a way to getting him to go into "hospital" for a while to recover his "strenght"?

Bod

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Interesting that you should mention orthostatic hypotension. OH has been having problems over the past couple of years and once ended up in A&E with a suspected TIA, but nothing was found. He has fairly recently, though, been conclusively diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension, which is worse first thing in the morning where he has been lying down all night. Often in the mornings he is shaky, unsteady and confused. I was reccommended to give him a drink before he gets up in the morning which will help to increase his blood pressure. Interestingly, I was told that caffine is quite good for orthostatic hypotension as it increased blood pressure, so I always take him up a mug of coffee first thing in the morning before he gets up, which does seem to help.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Thanks all and Yes @Bod
Permanent care is closer than we think, or what my sister chooses to ignore!
These hospital visits have hastened things.
He has appointments coming up with Urology and Respiratory Team, and a bone density scan.
In 2 weeks time my husband and I are going away for 6 days.
Initiatially my sister & brother were going to juggle things between them.
With this happening I was all set to arrange Respite... but due to Covid and our Rest Home rules he would be put into isolation for the time hes there or 14 days. Only carers and nurses, confined to his room.
My Mums care home doesnt have vacancies, and its all rather stressful.
My sister has now said she will have Dad , which Im doubtful about :oops:
@canary Dad has about 8 cups of coffee a day and 2-3 cups of tea. He has prostate and urinary issues and pre diabetic.
He wakes from 5 am and has about 3-4 coffees & 6 cigarettes up until 11am and then has toast.
If my brother ( or if im over) prompt him to eat, he says hes all ready eaten. All he will eat is toast and cheese. Same if we make him something.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951