Epa

Nels

Jul 25, 2006
Romford Essex
Sorry about asking this question but am probably being incredibly dense/and or just worn down. Have got to put an EPA in place for mum and it is now looking more and more likely that mum-in-;aw will be needing one. I have been on the guardianship site but where is the actual EPA form, can find EPA1 and EPA 2, would I be better off going to a solicitor but then it is time as work is getting difficult with hubby and I with the amount of time having to be taken off and it is not easy taking time off when working in a school. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Elaine

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
On the Guardianship web site you will have found http://www.guardianship.gov.uk/formsdocuments/forms.htm

The EPA form itself is in the section BEFORE where you found the the EPA1and EPA2 forms.

The test reads
Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) - form to make an EPA

This section provides a copy of the prescribed form to make an EPA.

Important note: EPAs are very powerful documents and it is important that you fully understand the implications of giving authority to other people for managing your financial affairs. Our EPA booklet provides information about these documents and how they work. We strongly recommend you read this booklet before making an EPA. You can access a copy on the Publications page of this website.

You should also ensure that you read and fully understand the guidance in Part A of the prescribed form before making an EPA.

Click here to view the content of this form in Welsh.

Please note that PGO staff are not legally qualified and therefore cannot provide legal advice on how to make an EPA. We recommend you obtain legal advice from a solicitor, a Legal Advice Centre, or the Law Society.

Form to make an EPA

Hope this helps.

I'd check out the form, then do it myself, rather than employ a solicitor. Worth phoning the Guardianship help line and the alzheimers one to, to build confidence!

Helena

May 24, 2006
EPA 1 and EPA 2 are simply the forms you need to complete when you register an EPA

Theres absolutely no need to incur solicitor charges

You can download all the forms and print them off

They are easy i promise

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Elaine ... don't think for one minute you are being dense ....

Helena and Brucie (and everyone else who has helped ME with advice over EPA and subsequently registering) ... I don't want to sound like I am drumming up support to line the bulging wallets of our legal profession .... but you know, what seems like a fairly straightforward piece of paperwork for many people can feel like a 'Sunday rambler suddenly attempting Everest' when you're all over the place with emotions and everything else that's going on .....

In a 'straightforward' situation/family (whatever that is ???) I'd be the first to advocate the DIY approach and saving some money ... but IF there are ANY doubts - about ANYTHING - the cost of drawing up the EPA and making sure it is watertight seems like a nominal insurance fee ..... (in my case £110 for a home visit by solicitor + secretary in tow as witness for me).

I doubt there's anyone here would drive a car without insurance????

Just the way I see legal fees .... (then I don't have a straightforward family!;)

Elaine - used solicitor to ensure no quibbles about mum's ability to sign EPA a while back ... took advice on registering (amongst other financial bits) more recently then DIY-ed the registration myself - and that was only thanks to the fantastic help here)......

Some days sticking a stamp on an envelope seems like a mean feat ......:eek:

Just my thoughts... and my experience.....

Karen, x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I don't want to sound like I am drumming up support to line the bulging wallets of our legal profession
I agree totally with Karen. If you feel like you can do it, or don't have time or energy to sort a solicitor, then try doing it.

If not, the money is peanuts compared to the relief of geting it done - whichever way you do it!

Nels

Jul 25, 2006
Romford Essex
Thanks for all your replies. Sorry not to have replied earlier but youngest daughter has been in hospital with suspected meningitis...... she only came home late last night. Absolutely shattered now but she is much better, they think it was viral meningitis or a bug, but she was exhibiting all the symptons - needless to say hubby was round his mums as she had fallen and could not get up and was confused - he had to call the ambulance service to help him pick her up and he can lift fairly heavy weights - she was so confused that he was worried about hurting her. Needless to say the ambulance men said that they would take her to hospital if he wanted them to but it was really busy in A & E - as I was finding out, daughter was categorised at organge 1 - only one down from red, and for red you have to virtually be dead but it still took nearly 2 hours for her to see a doc and that was with me constantly asking for her to be seen. Personally I think he should have let them take her there we could have saved ourselves some trips if they were both in the same place. Mum-in-law is only having a carer for half an hour in the morning and we are concerned about what will happen when we are both back at work next week have tried to contact social worker but not available until Tuesday.

Thanks again for your help everyone, will attempt to unravel the forms in a day or so when I feel a bit stronger - although with mums move to sheltered housing I am not sure when that will be - will probably be shattered afterwards - still it will be worth it in the end.

Helena

May 24, 2006
Deborah

You have me totally puzzled as to what incorrect advice PGO staff cpould have given

The rules for registering an EPA are clearly spelt out on the website and for once easy to understand

The reasons for objecting to the registration also have to be very specific

I had no trouble at all following the website instructions or obtaining registered EPA

However The staff and the guidance notes at The Inheritance Tax Helpline are a total and utter nightmare and i know several accountants who say exactly the same

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan