EPA - Time limits on informing banks etc

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Epa

This all sounds like my worst nightmare but thanks for bringing it up. I've been dithering for months about whether or not it was time to register Eric's epa so have taken the bull by the horns,had a chat with the solicitor this morning and am seeing him Monday to get the ball rolling. He has the original signed by Eric last year. Am hoping it won't be too stressful as our money is in joint accounts-but requires both of us to be there for transactions- Eric just doesn't want to know any more which makes things a bit tricky. Good kuck to all of you battling on your parents' behalf-and thanks again for the prompt!

pete81

Dec 3, 2007
south cheshire
I did an EPA with a lawpack from WH smith, having spoke to a solicitor 30mins free service, who said for £15 can do it yourself saving money.

For accounts you fill in an EPA then show to bank, many differ from just showing original or showing a registered stamped original from court of protection, another account i had a 6 month access from showing original not registered, then within that time had to register EPA for full access after this time.

Office copies obtained from PGO up to 10 free,and send them to companies who review and send back to me. i pay all the utility bills etc. no problems and companies send them to me.

I don't think there is a time limit but quicker registered EPA is shown the better access to accounts i guess and would need one for each person.
Although EPA no longer exists for new (only existing), you need LPA for property and finances and another one for welfare so best getting both if dealing with elderley relatives.