EPA Registration update

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
We had some good news this week, at last.

My brothers "evidence" and objections arrived from the court of protection.

To back up his allegations of the house being sold for less than its value, he sent a print out from a web site last January of the prices houses were sold for. all but one were from the houses on a private estate bordering the golf course..........the only one in Mum's road, he had scribbled out the figure and written a higher price above it.

We have sent full accounts and valuations, 3 from before agreeing the sale and 3 since, all of which prove our case.

His evidence for Mum being too confused to sign the EPA at the same time she and Dad made new wills is the transfer letter written by the manager of one care home to the other, it says she likes dusting, doesn't like TV and has settled well but wanders away from the home so is a danger to herself, diagnosis Alzheimers and vascular dementia, he says that proves she had advanced dementia 14 months earlier when she signed the EPA.

We have the solicitor who drew up both the wills and the EPA, who has written to the PGO stating the procedure was carried out legally and Mum understood the meaning of the document she was signing. Also my sister and I saw her almost daily for over 30 years, I think we may have more insight than he, who saw her about 3 times a year.

The will is a different matter, though and the solicitor has told the PGO that she was not altogether happy to change her will and he is considering the option to revert to her previous will.........this left my brother absolutely nothing, he has letters sent to my parents by my brother that were so horrible that they show exactly why he was written out in 2001.

All this information will reach my brother today, so wait for an explosion in West Sussex, it will be him having a mega tantrum.

It makes a change for him to have a miserable weekend, we have had lots lately.

Kathleen
x

Helena

May 24, 2006
Oh Boy would I like to be a fly on your Brothers wall this weekend

Sounds like your solicitor might just give him his comeuppance

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Kathleen

you are advancing in such a very impressive way! Well done.

I'll join Helena on the wall this weekend, I think.... :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Kathleen, It`s so good to read of such a successful outcome in your post.

I`m sure you will have a very good weekend.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Kathleen, congratulations! You appear to have won the war, and the parting shot about the will is is the icing on top. Delicious! (Sorry, lots of mixed metaphors, but you know me, everything comes back to food.):eek:

I'm sure you've got a warm chortly feeling inside -- I would!:D :D :D

Enjoy your weekend, you deserve it.

Love,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The expression "what goes around comes around" seems appropriate: he's really put you through the wringer, so it's about time he gets wrung out. The only thing I don't quite get is "the solicitor has told the PGO that she was not altogether happy to change her will and he is considering the option to revert to her previous will". Surely either the will is valid or not: how can there be an "option" to revert to an earlier will? Just curious (well nosey would probably be more accurate), so don't answer if you don't want to :)

Love

Jennifer

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Jennifer

The solicitor, when he drew up Mum and Dad's last wills and the EPA in May 2004, a year after Mum's diagnosis was aware that although Dad was completely capable of drawing up a new will, Mum just followed his lead really.

The mention of the will being invalid is more a way to get my brother off everyones back, my sister and I know full well that we could take steps to revoke the will, but we don't want to go down that path.

Dad had made a kind of peace with my brother when he made the will and died 4 months later, we would like to respect his wishes, we failed on keeping Mum at home, but won't fail again.

We just want to concentrate on Mum's welfare and get harmony back into the family again.

Kathleen

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynt68