EPA for Health and Welfare

Aragorn

Jul 23, 2015
I need to set up EPAs for health and welfare for OH and myself (our old LPAs are out of date now and DNRs might be disregarded) My starting point would be to download the forms from OPG, but before I begin has anyone any recent experience, advice or wisdom to offer please?

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello. I am afraid that you can no longer create new EPAs anymore unless the forms were completed some years ago, think it's 2007 and only need to be sent off to register them, if already registered an EPA remains valid.
They have been superseded by two types of LPA, one for finance and property the other for health and welfare.

It is wise to get the health and welfare LPA.
I'll put a link here to the official government site where you can complete both types of LPA online , it will save your work so you don't have to complete them all at once.
I found it very easy to do online. However they can't be fully completed online as various signatures etc need to be provided.
https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Aragorn, l have applied for Health and Welfare through my solicitor, it is now called Deputyship, if my husband had been sectioned l would not need it, DOLS Is in place now but only lasts a year. The court fee's are £400 plus solicitor's fee's, l think you can do it yourself, but there is no guarrantee that you will get it. Good luck.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hello Aragorn, l have applied for Health and Welfare through my solicitor, it is now called Deputyship, if my husband had been sectioned l would not need it, DOLS Is in place now but only lasts a year. The court fee's are £400 plus solicitor's fee's, l think you can do it yourself, but there is no guarrantee that you will get it. Good luck.

I think it's important not to confuse the issue. While it is possible to apply for a Deputyship for Health and Welfare, even if they are rarely granted, what Aragorn is referring to is creating new LPA for Health and Welfare.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I agree with jenniferpa.
I interpreted the post to mean that the OP wanted to replace EPAs for both themselves and their OH with LPAS especially to get H&W LPAs.
They had interchanged EPA and LPA by mistake.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
If you're completing the forms yourself I would say don't over complicate things. If your dad trusts you to act in his best interests leave all the sections about special instructions blank. Your dad will need to complete (and sign) one of the options about whether or not he wants to give you authority to give or refuse consent to life sustaining treatment, but other than that try and keep it simple.

The obvious advice is to make sure all names, addresses and dates of birth etc. are correct as once it's registered these can't be corrected. Make sure that the correct dates are put in and in the correct order. The donor (your dad) should sign first, then the certificate provider, then the attorneys and then the application to register. You can date it all the same date if you all sign on the same date, but if, for example, the date the attorneys sign is before the date the certificate provider signs it will be rejected.

The signatures of the donor and the attorneys must be witnessed. Read the instructions about who can be a witness carefully.

If you take your time and read the notes carefully it is relatively straightforward, but as always you should consider taking professional legal advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryMc086