1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

    Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

    You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

EPA for Health and Welfare

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Aragorn, Jan 16, 2016.

  1. Aragorn

    Aragorn Registered User

    Jul 23, 2015
    I need to set up EPAs for health and welfare for OH and myself (our old LPAs are out of date now and DNRs might be disregarded) My starting point would be to download the forms from OPG, but before I begin has anyone any recent experience, advice or wisdom to offer please?
  2. lin1

    lin1 Registered User

    Jan 14, 2010
    East Kent
    Hello. I am afraid that you can no longer create new EPAs anymore unless the forms were completed some years ago, think it's 2007 and only need to be sent off to register them, if already registered an EPA remains valid.
    They have been superseded by two types of LPA, one for finance and property the other for health and welfare.

    It is wise to get the health and welfare LPA.
    I'll put a link here to the official government site where you can complete both types of LPA online , it will save your work so you don't have to complete them all at once.
    I found it very easy to do online. However they can't be fully completed online as various signatures etc need to be provided.
  3. pamann

    pamann Registered User

    Oct 28, 2013
    Hello Aragorn, l have applied for Health and Welfare through my solicitor, it is now called Deputyship, if my husband had been sectioned l would not need it, DOLS Is in place now but only lasts a year. The court fee's are £400 plus solicitor's fee's, l think you can do it yourself, but there is no guarrantee that you will get it. Good luck.
  4. jenniferpa

    jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

    Jun 27, 2006

    I think it's important not to confuse the issue. While it is possible to apply for a Deputyship for Health and Welfare, even if they are rarely granted, what Aragorn is referring to is creating new LPA for Health and Welfare.
  5. nitram

    nitram Registered User

    Apr 6, 2011
    North Manchester
    I agree with jenniferpa.
    I interpreted the post to mean that the OP wanted to replace EPAs for both themselves and their OH with LPAS especially to get H&W LPAs.
    They had interchanged EPA and LPA by mistake.
  6. sue38

    sue38 Registered User

    Mar 6, 2007
    Wigan, Lancs
    If you're completing the forms yourself I would say don't over complicate things. If your dad trusts you to act in his best interests leave all the sections about special instructions blank. Your dad will need to complete (and sign) one of the options about whether or not he wants to give you authority to give or refuse consent to life sustaining treatment, but other than that try and keep it simple.

    The obvious advice is to make sure all names, addresses and dates of birth etc. are correct as once it's registered these can't be corrected. Make sure that the correct dates are put in and in the correct order. The donor (your dad) should sign first, then the certificate provider, then the attorneys and then the application to register. You can date it all the same date if you all sign on the same date, but if, for example, the date the attorneys sign is before the date the certificate provider signs it will be rejected.

    The signatures of the donor and the attorneys must be witnessed. Read the instructions about who can be a witness carefully.

    If you take your time and read the notes carefully it is relatively straightforward, but as always you should consider taking professional legal advice.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.