Entertainment\activity

Mammamu

Jan 10, 2017
Bucks
What do people do to keep their loved ones entertained - any good ideas? The evenings are long - short attention span never watched so many dvds!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Hi,
I'm not sure if this will help? But I think lots of kids games works or we make them work....

FIL use to love playing cards, but can't really manage it anymore, so we now do simple snap,pairs (but we don't turn them over, just helping FIL finding 2 of the same), frustration (!) is also a favourite, again FIL can't really play it but we all join in and making it "work", Draughts,dominoes,Mastermind and 4 in a row.
Sometimes we get some good games other times it don't work so well. But we let FIL "lead"if he don't show any interest we try a cuppa instead. The kids are great, they let granddad win to make him feel special sometimes.....
And puzzles
Hope it helps?
Mammamu [emoji202]

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Hi Jennypie,

Early evening after our meal is the worst time. I record programmes which I think he might enjoy but nothing really holds his attention. Fidget, fidget, fidget until I let him go to bed at 9. (no earlier or we have 4am showering).

I have replied quite fully in another post about daytime activities.

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
My husband Enjoys playing Connect 4. We used to play it with our grandchildren. He can only manage a few games of it in one sitting. But you can see him trying to work out which colours go next.

jennypie

Jan 5, 2014
North yorkshire
Thanks for your ideas, rhubarbtree your husband sounds like mine he fidgets or goes and puts hat coat and gloves on then eventually settles for a short while and I try to hang on till at least 9 then phew I can put him to bed and relax! Il try some of those games but doubtful hel manage thanks Mammamu x

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
On the days John goes to daycare he is tired out and happy to read his paper or football magazine until it is time for bed. The other three days I have to dream up entertainment which can be done without too much pain for his bad knee. He cannot concentrate on TV or even follow a football match with his favourite team so that s out.

We sometimes go to the cinema where I suspect he's enjoying being with people as he has no idea what he is watching and instantly forgets what he has seen.

We go for short walks and stop and look at things or talk to dog walkers etc.

We occasionally go out for a meal which can be good or stressful. I tend to choose places which are quiet but with activity going on outside the window so I have something to look at when John is taking a lifetime to finish his dish.

I do try to engage him in conversation but though we start off well it usually drifts into some bizarre notion that I cannot make sense of.

Not easy. My advice is to get all the daycare you can as they have a lot going on and nonsense conversations don't matter.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My late husband would do nothing. He would potter around the house. But once he could no longer read - or understand what he read (I later found that he had taken to ripping pages out of the books, possibly when he wasn't able to understand what he was reading? - or other books, he had scribbled on the pages) all we did in the evenings was watch dvds. Travel documentaries, wildlife documentaries, nature programs, and some music programs. We watched the same ones over and over - he loved them, and enjoyed them each time. During the day, I took him out for a wander around familiar local shops every day, and for tea and cake in a local, familiar cafe.

webby123

Mar 14, 2016
i use to do easy puzzles with mum,also looking through photo albums,i bought her a few cds of her fav music to play

Princess t

Mar 15, 2016
My mom loves to people watch. She's given up on almost everything else, her words are she just can't be bothered!