Entering a care home

london1234

May 3, 2011
South East London
My mother is being admitted to a residential care home very soon and Im at a loss what my first steps are. ie;what to provide and such.
Any suggestions would be greatly received.

rosiek

Feb 1, 2011
Norfolk
Hi there

Mum has been in her CH since Easter. I made sure she had several changes of clothes, i.e. trousers, tops, undies etc, slippers and her walking shoes (all marked up with her name and room number in permanent marker to avoid being lost in the laundry), toiletries, and something from home, in Mum's case a couple of her wedding photos, one with of her my Dad and one with my Grandad. Maybe a plant/flowers that she likes. I found the best way of getting her clothes in was by stealth, little and often. We also took a cuddly toy dog in, which she had at home. We found the little and often way of taking things in made sure she felt wasn't being moved in lock stock and barrel and she didn't ask why we were bringing things in. It took a while but Mum has settled there and is doing really well.

Good luck

Love Rosie

mumofthree

Apr 11, 2011
Lancashire
Hi
My Dad went into a care home last Friday direct from hospital. I went to the care home the evening before and took some clothes, family photos and a few ornaments from home so that his room wasn't completely blank when he arrived. We then went later on the Friday and took some more - more clothes, his tv and dvd player, some dvds and a picture for his wall. So we too are doing it bit by bit and plan to take a couple of bigger things soon eg a chair, chest of drawers. He already had toiletries with him having been in hospital so now we just need to keep an eye on them and replace as necessary, and we too have had to name things including walking stick. Dad seems to be settling well so far and has since requested lemon squash and tonic water ;)
Good luck x

london1234

May 3, 2011
South East London
Great idea mumofthree, Preparing the room with one or two items before my mum moves in is something so simple that I didnt even consider that.
Thank you.

susiewoo

Oct 28, 2006
Bromley Kent
Label everything! even toiletries.

Maybe think about a box of treasures like photos, favourite nicknaks, magazines,which you could put in top of wardrobe to keep safe and bring out when you visit to stimulate conversation.
A blank book everyone who visits can write in so you know whos been and it acts as a memory book you can refer to.
A pinboard on the wall to display photos and cards.
A radio/cd player and selection of favourite music.
Colouring pencils and paper
Sweeties

grobertson62

Mar 7, 2011
Sheffield
Hi

the biggest thing I can say is label everything, even socks. we were advised to make sure that the clothes we took were sturdy as they wash on a higher temp than you possibly would at home ( hence no wool cardigans)

we took items from home TV book case photos, a drawer chest for dads toiletries in the bathroom

we even had to label those too

dads home are quite happy for us to take what ever we wanted in. electricals had to be pat tested first....

we took a photo of dad then laminated it with his name on & stuck this to his bedroom door. It helps him to find his own room more easily

hope all goes well Gill

shauna

Sep 10, 2010
among other things we brought in mums duvet and covers and also her favourite blanket that she has when sitting in her armchair.

Hope the move goes well for you .

Shauna