Enrichment

Janet28

Feb 14, 2015
My mother is 95, almost blind, and very deaf. Physically she is quite fit. She has middle range Alzheimer's and now lives in a care home. Due to her blindness, deafness and general confusion, she is not able to watch TV, listen to the radio, read, or take part in the care home activities. She lives in a confused little bubble. I hold her hand and talk to her (which she doesn't hear), but she makes no response. Has anyone any idea of what I could do to enrich her life?

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
My mother is 95, almost blind, and very deaf. Physically she is quite fit. She has middle range Alzheimer's and now lives in a care home. Due to her blindness, deafness and general confusion, she is not able to watch TV, listen to the radio, read, or take part in the care home activities. She lives in a confused little bubble. I hold her hand and talk to her (which she doesn't hear), but she makes no response. Has anyone any idea of what I could do to enrich her life?

Hi Janet28
What about something like a foot or hand massage?
My dad used to love those and it had a calming effect on him as well.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Luv
Polly x

brambles

Sep 22, 2014
NW England
Hi Janet,

My mum has a lavender scented wheatie bag which can be warmed in the microwave. It has a velvety cover so feels and smells nice.

It must be so difficult for both of you, but I am sure your mum will get such a
lot of pleasure from you being with her, holding her hand and talking, even though she cannot hear you.

Love brambles x

Janet28

Feb 14, 2015
Thanks to Polly

Hi Janet28
What about something like a foot or hand massage?
My dad used to love those and it had a calming effect on him as well.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Luv
Polly x

Thank you - scented hand cream would leave her with a nice perfume on her hands. :)

Janet28

Feb 14, 2015
Thank you Brambles

Hi Janet,

My mum has a lavender scented wheatie bag which can be warmed in the microwave. It has a velvety cover so feels and smells nice.

It must be so difficult for both of you, but I am sure your mum will get such a
lot of pleasure from you being with her, holding her hand and talking, even though she cannot hear you.

Love brambles x

Yes, touch will be one of the senses that she can appreciate. I'll try to find something like you suggest.

samfordb

Feb 21, 2015
When my mother suffered from dementia. I learned that the strongest memories come from the sense of smell. Teas, baked things like cinnamon rolls or other favorite things, flowers or herbs. Fresh Rosemary has been said to stimulate the memory. If she still likes to eat, maybe she would enjoy some of her favorite foods. My mother didn't eat much, but she liked chocolate or fresh baked pastries.

Janet28

Feb 14, 2015
thank you.

When my mother suffered from dementia. I learned that the strongest memories come from the sense of smell. Teas, baked things like cinnamon rolls or other favorite things, flowers or herbs. Fresh Rosemary has been said to stimulate the memory. If she still likes to eat, maybe she would enjoy some of her favorite foods. My mother didn't eat much, but she liked chocolate or fresh baked pastries.

Thank you for your ideas. Mum has a good appetite, so I will find no problem there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger