English Channel Relay - success!

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Hi there
Those on the forum will know my dad is in residential care with advanced dementia. On Friday (and well into the early hours of Saturaday) I swam from Dover, England to Wissant, France, with my relay team. An English channel relay team takes an hour each, in rotation, with a pilot boat alongside which guides you to your destination. We had five 'lady swimmers' as the official form said and it took us 17.03 hours so we swam 3 or 4 hours each.
I was horribly seasick so was unable to eat or drink during the attempt, and we swam through sunshine and pitch darkness with the fish and jellyfish and a seasnake... and saw dolphins at one point!
We are raising money for four charities and I picked the Alzheimer's Society. am delighted we've already raised over £4k so that's £1k at least to the society!

More info and pictures etc here: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/refusetosink#start

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Wow @imthedaughter , that is really impressive. I hope you got to spend some time in France after all that, though I guess you probably didn't much feel like coffee and croissants or a glass of nice wine.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Wow @imthedaughter , that is really impressive. I hope you got to spend some time in France after all that, though I guess you probably didn't much feel like coffee and croissants or a glass of nice wine.
We arrived in Wissant just before 5am local time - with my apologies to all residents who heard some pretty feral women whooping and a boat horn blasting out in the bay - and left immediately afterwards. We all had our passports but you're not allowed to tack on a weekend or even a trip to a hypermarche, sadly!

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Jellyfish and sea snakes? Freezing cold water? That was never going to be fun...!

I take my hat off to you - I could no more do that than fly to the moon (though that would be more fun!)
You wouldn't catch me flying to the moon! The water was probably around 20-22, so not cold by my standards. I wish it was colder really, that'd keep the jellyfish away!

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
Congratulations! That's quite a feat, I think you're very brave - and a great amount of money raised, well done ?