Endoscopy on Alzheimer patient???

Billy's Girl

Oct 8, 2013
West Yorkshire
My husband is due to have an endoscopy within the next two days. I know of the risks attached but he needs to know what is causing his vomiting problems and weight loss. I have read up on the procedure and wonder how he is going to manage the initial swallow. He will be sedated and I will be with him for support. I am getting anxious about how he will cope.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi
It is worth putting "endoscopy" into the search on here, it's been discussed a few times and there's some interesting points come up which you may want to have a look at.
K

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
I've gone through an endoscope test. My throat was sprayed internally to anaesthetise it. I lay on my side while the scope was inserted and had no ill effects. The second time I had it done, was prior to my operation and was less concerned after my initial experience. Hope this is of help. I wish both you and your Husband well and will remember you in my prayers.

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
My husband is due to have an endoscopy within the next two days. I know of the risks attached but he needs to know what is causing his vomiting problems and weight loss. I have read up on the procedure and wonder how he is going to manage the initial swallow. He will be sedated and I will be with him for support. I am getting anxious about how he will cope.

Hello Billy's Girl,
I have had 2 endoscopy's, the first they sprayed my throat, but I found it very difficult to swallow and was gagging all the time.

The second time I had a full anaesthetic and I don't remember anything at all. I was only out for around 10 minutes and I was fine.

I would have thought your husband will be better having the anaesthetic (not spelt correctly) you can be with him all the time and he will not get anxious. He will just think he has had a sleep.

I wish you and your husband all the very best.

disi x

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
I had an endoscopy with a blocked nose, and no anaesthetic as I had driven to the hospital leaving my husband on his own( I could, back then). People had advised me to have the anaesthetic, and with hindsight, I should have.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Try putting something like a pencil between your teeth and then swallowing, that's were the problem arises.

Billy's Girl

Oct 8, 2013
West Yorkshire

Having it tomorrow morning so fingers crossed. I gave him three pills to take tonight and he swallowed them all in one go so he has no problem swallowing.

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon

With sedation and a good endoscopy team he should be fine. After sedation has worked the actual procedure doesn't take long. If you think he may be nervous ring hospital and ask if he should have something like diazepam prior to going into the hospital.
Good luck

Billy's Girl

Oct 8, 2013
West Yorkshire
With sedation and a good endoscopy team he should be fine. After sedation has worked the actual procedure doesn't take long. If you think he may be nervous ring hospital and ask if he should have something like diazepam prior to going into the hospital.
Good luck

Thank you for your reassurance. He is already in hospital on nil by mouth since midnight. I am going in the next half hour to make sure I am around for him.

Billy's Girl

Oct 8, 2013
West Yorkshire
Relief!

Had the endoscopy this morning and I was waiting outside theatre in his recovery bay after going down with me. All looks fine, he is being kept in for. Couple of days as he has high blood pressure. The only criticism I have of an otherwise excellent team is that even though I asked if he could be sedated, they unsuccessfully tried first without sedation. He was 'fighting with staff' so was given sedative and all went well. I am so grateful for the support on this site, thank you.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
So glad it went well. Obviously, the sedation made the difference in his case.

For the benefit of anyone reading this and about to go through the procedure, I had an endoscopy without sedation and, even though I was very worried in anticipation, it was actually quite bearable. It's also relevant that, according to the guy who carried it out, his team rarely used sedatives now. He reckoned almost everyone that week (they were doing it like a conveyer belt:)) had managed without when it was explained to them and that the team could recognise the rare person who would need it within seconds of talking to them about the procedure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jon56