End stage?

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Hello fellow carers. I've recently read on another site about the the End Stage by a lady who works in a NH. She tell of: urinary infection, weight loss, bed sores and throat infection leading to lack of food intake. Of course they are bedridden, have long since lost all speach and rigidity set in.
Hospice is usually considered then, who focus completely on pain management and comfort care, is reserved for people with less than six months to live!
Yes they sent me a hospice nurse, sorry it wasn't for me, that was in 2003.

That description I'm all too well familiar with, Jean has it all including having a catheter fitted though she was not given months to live, rather days.
If that's the way some folk think all I can say is: I thank my lucky stars for taking her home just in time. It was touch and go for about four months. Since then I've had three scares this past nine months with her three seizures.
After blood tests, X-ray, ECG and EEG I was informed that she 'probably' had Epilepsy. When I questioned the Consultant Clinical Neurophysiologist (nice title),
might the seizure have been brought on by her having a dream which reflected
a frightful event in her past life, like the sight of our daughter on the roadside dead? "Could well be." To day I feel more sure it's not Epilepsy as it's about six months since the last attack.
Always when she wake up she appears to be in another world. Now I hold her and talk to her, asking if she's been to school, or playing in the square, then tell her it's OK now I'm here and she's home. I'm referring of course to her childhood home in Co. Durham, trying to speak with a Georgie accent. Not easy with a strong Irish accent.
We are doing very well thank you as we travel along the river of time in our small craft named 'NOW' which I keep reminding myself of. I keep watch out for the fishing folk who want to reel us in and take control of us. Who you might ask? there's the medical profession, SS, SWs LA etc, should they try, I pull them in and take control. Since I've taken this approach we are free of stress.
There's more stress nowadays with people hooked on drugs, credit cards, drink
junk food, slimming fads. One lot's hooking, while another lot are hooking you on unhooking. I'm not suffering am I? Try not to let others control your lives, they are the cause. Padraig

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Padraig
I agree do not let your lives be controlled, by others but!!
I looked after my Peg for 13 + years,had the future planned,conservatory,shower room bed room downstairs.
Then some one ,something, decided that it was time for Peg to go,and when that happens there is no way you can control it.
Day to day Padraig.
Norman

Last edited:

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Hi Norman, I'm only too well aware there are things we can't control, but there's so very many we can.
Many years ago, I returned from work in the Middle East. I was offered to state my own wage to stay, but I wished to spend quality time with our youngest 15yr old daughter. I'd planned a holiday for just the two of us, telling her the sky was the limit on spending, air tickets bought for the following day. That evening Jean and I went for a walk, before we left the house I hugged our girl and kissed her, excited about the morrow.
When we returned there was no one in the house, Karen had gone for a walk with her friend. The phone rang, there had been an accident just up the road. We arrived only to see her laying dead by the roadside.
We're also in our 13th year of AD, lets hope it's not an omen. I've always hoped and dreamed and still do, for where there's life there's hope. I've always got my trusty craft NOW to sail in.
Norman your one special man, I've never made friends with any man but you might have been the first. If you were to get to know me you'd find one strange dude. I wish you well. Padraig

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Lonestray said:
We're also in our 13th year of AD, lets hope it's not an omen. I've always hoped and dreamed and still do, for where there's life there's hope. I've always got my trusty craft NOW to sail in.
Norman your one special man, I've never made friends with any man but you might have been the first. If you were to get to know me you'd find one strange dude. I wish you well. Padraig

Hi Padraig

I think I would like to meet "one strange dude" I think you could teach us a lot of things about caring and you could make the lessons interesting as well.
Where in he middle East were you? We were in Oman and Syria.

Norman
You also could teach us a lot. You have the experience of looking after Peg for all of those years, through various stages.
Your advice is of great benefit to all who are just starting to care.
Please keep in touch with TP.

Alfjess