End stage ... so many mixed emotions

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
@canary
@Amy in the US

Thanks so much. Mum has a crackle in her chest but no worse.
Her care home is finalising all the paperwork for her to be moved to Hospital level at her care home.
A move of significance, because as we know being moved from the Dementia Unit to their Hospital signifies Mums remaining days. :(

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
A move of significance, because as we know being moved from the Dementia Unit to their Hospital signifies Mums remaining days. :(

Thinking of you @Linbrusco and wishing you strength and wishing your mum peace.

Moose1966

Feb 10, 2017
Staffordshire
I’m so sorry @Linbrusco . Sending strength for the days ahead.
Thinking of you and hope the move helps settle her and keep her comfortable, it’s awful to even contemplate how hard it must be for you . Mums not eaten now for two days the home rang me to say they were having a meeting today and maybe she needs to move to nursing rather than care home, I don’t want to move her as she knows the staff and they are good with her , but she is needing more care and they feel that poss they’re not meeting her needs . I hope she can remain there and that the final stage is not too far away . Such a sad time for all , I reckon another night of crying myself to sleep. ❤️

Ostrich63

Jul 9, 2018
I will join you in the heart in mouth living we seem to do while watching our lives dissolve and trying our best to make it as easy as possible. *************hugs to you************

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Thanks xx
Mum hasnt had a temperature for 2 days so seems to have responded to antibiotics, but yesterday vomited what little breakfast she ate.
I noticed too with drinking she is starting to take little coughs in between.
She had quite a lucid few minutes when visiting and tried to get out the lazy boy, so we stood her up and it took me and a carer on each side to walk a few steps. Back in the lazy boy and back to sleep again.
They’re just getting her room ready in the Hospital Wing. Hoping for a smooth transition.

Last edited:

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
My Mum was moved from her 3rd floor Dementia Care Unit to the 2nd floor Hospital Care.

In Mums dementia unit there is a Chinese gentleman who has been there just a few months but he seemed to take a liking to Mum when she was still able to talk some and interact.
In the last 8 weeks with her decline had taken to trying to feed Mum, holding her hand or putting a blanket over her.
He was most concerned about her this morning and was crying his eyes out when Mum was transferred to a wheelchair, and the carers were saying goodbyes :(
Mum is in a nice room overlooking a garden.
At least her belongings, flowers & pictures wont be taken or moved , as in the Dementia Unit ;)

Mum is only able to stand, walk, transfer to chair with total assistance.
She drinks about 250ml of Fortasip a day. Maybe another 100ml of water/lemon barley.
Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner is maybe 6 small spoonfulls of mashed or pureed food.
Her legs and feet are becoming purple due to circulation.
She is starting to pick at her chin so has a scab.
sleeps or is awake with eyes closed maybe 23 hrs a day.
When she is awake she is quite alert, but for 20 mns max.
Only speaks 3-4 words.
Doesnt show any recognition of any of us, but when bringing up some old memory Mum can sometimes raise a smile or wee laugh.

I still wish for a call to say Mum has passed.
Shes just pulled through a chest infection but its taken its toll :(

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im glad she has managed the move and you have made her room nice for her.
Unfortunately, people can last a long time like that and its the waiting that is hard.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts