end stage help

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Hi dear friends,
I can't believe it was December since I logged on here. I find I need support more now than ever before as now we are dealing with the end of life issues. I never thought my Mom would last until the bitter end of this diseas as she has been so underweight and frail for a long time. Through many illnesses she has managed to recover and has continually managed to surprise and amaze everyone.
I had to switch her to pureed food today as when we went in midmorning to see her she still had last nights dinner pocketed in her check. Gads, do you think they would have noticed that at breakfast?
She has very few verbal abilities left, is totally invalid and her quality of life is going downhill fast.
The hardest thing is to watch it. Part of me is so sad knowing we will most likely loose her soon and the other part is so happy for her to pass away so she can be healthy in heaven. It is a really weird conflict of emotions.
So, that is where I'm at. Getting to the end of AD with Mom has given me a more comprehensive view of this disease.
I hope you are all doing well. Those that don't know me, I've been coming here for years and could not have functioned as well without you all.
Thanks,
Debbie

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Debbie, it`s good to hear from you.
Sadly there is deterioration all round on TP and many are experiencing hard times.
It is painful to hear your mother was left with food in her mouth all night. If she`d choked, you would never have known.
No one would expect good news from you . All I can say is I hope your mother is `comfortable`, is in no pain, and is unaware of her state.
And I wish you well Debbie.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Debbie

So sorry that the end is fast approaching.. We all know that this time will come, but I doubt any of us are ready for it's arrival..
Take care..
Because of the time difference you may have to wait for more posts, I'm just off to bed myself..

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Hi Debbie

Will be thinking about you and your mum,i also hope that your mum will not be in any pain.You take care Marian x

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hi Debbie,
I'm glad you've come here - I've missed your upbeat posts.

I'm sorry about your Mum and yet she may go on a lot longer than you think possible. We just never know with this disease.

Love,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Debbie

I have wondered how you were doing. I understand the hope/dread that this time brings and there's nothing much that I can say except that I hope this stage is bearable for you. Your mother has such strength to have lasted as long as she has and that's a tribute to the care you have given and organized for her.

Take care

Love

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Thank you all, I knew I could talk to you all and you would totally understand where I'm at. As my Mom would say, " it is just one of those going through the tough times, tough times."
Yep, she is soooooo tough. I will try to be more upbeat and come back often!

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Debbie,

Sending you love and understanding as my husband passed away recently aged 62.

May you be granted the strength to get you through the coming days.

Love from
Christine

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Debbie

Thank you for the update, even though it's not such good news.

My John continues much the same. He has been 'end stage' for almost two years now, but confounds everyone by eating well and maintaining weight. It's a sad time, only relieved the occasional smile, and even rarer giggle!:)

Please don't think you have to be upbeat. As you say, you've been through the whole gamut, as we have, and upbeat times are hard to come by. But everyone understands.

Love,

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Debbie, hang in there. My mum died in April also very frail at the end. It has been both a fantastic relief but also a bitter sorrow. Spend as much time as you can with your mum and you won't regret it. Give her a kiss for me, if she'll let you. Love Deborah xx

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Debbie,
Thinking of you....I understand the conflict of emotions....treasure the time you have left.
Love Helen

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
HI Debbie

It is an awful time towards the end. You feel so guilty becuase of how you are feeling and you can do nothing but watch and wait. It is a period I would rather forget in my life but which I rememebr only too well. However there can be the odd time that your Mum might "break through"...just for a second or two and it really lifts you when it happens.

(((((Hugs))))

Mameeskye

erm

Jan 28, 2009
Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. I lost my own mum just over two weeks ago so understand how hard it is for you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FutureMrsBrown