End Stage Dementia

Annie's

Jan 26, 2013
My mother has just been put onto palliative care as she is not eating or drinking, has no communication with anyone now. How long can this stage last?

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
My mother has just been put onto palliative care as she is not eating or drinking, has no communication with anyone now. How long can this stage last?

I don’t know the answer to your question, but wanted you to know I’m thinking of you xxx

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
This must be a very difficult time for you. Unfortunately there isn't a black and white answer to your question as some people can rally and may live for months in this stage, whereas others may slip away quickly.

I wish you the strength to deal with this time and hope that your mother remains comfortable and peaceful.

sunshine1013

Dec 13, 2018

Sorry to hear about your Mother. I am in the same boat. My Mother was put on hospice care, only drinks very little, no food for at least a week and does not get out of bed. I have been trying very hard to figure that out too because I would like to know how much time we have with her.

Yall will be in my thoughts and prayers as we figure this out.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This stage can last a surprisingly long time. My mum survived for 17 days with no food or water, but it is not usually this long.

Their body is slowly shutting down and they dont need any food/fluid anymore - in fact their body can no longer process it.
You are into the last long vigil and the waiting is horrible. Use this time to say the things that your mum needs to hear - hearing is the last thing to go, even if she can no longer respond. Tell her you love her, that you forgive her, thank her for the things she has done, tell her it is OK to go. Play her favourite music, put salve on her dry lips and cream on her dry kin.

You will know when you are reaching the very end as her breathing will change and her limbs will go cold.

((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) Holding your virtual hand through this time.

sunshine1013

Dec 13, 2018
This stage can last a surprisingly long time. My mum survived for 17 days with no food or water, but it is not usually this long.

Their body is slowly shutting down and they dont need any food/fluid anymore - in fact their body can no longer process it.
You are into the last long vigil and the waiting is horrible. Use this time to say the things that your mum needs to hear - hearing is the last thing to go, even if she can no longer respond. Tell her you love her, that you forgive her, thank her for the things she has done, tell her it is OK to go. Play her favourite music, put salve on her dry lips and cream on her dry kin.

You will know when you are reaching the very end as her breathing will change and her limbs will go cold.

((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) Holding your virtual hand through this time.

Thank you for responding. I appreciate the advice. She now has a hand and foot that are curling. Her feet have no more color and her other hand is swelling every morning. Her fingers look like sausages.