End stage Alzheimers.

Lady Eleanor

Jul 1, 2015
West Wickham, Kent
My Mum who is 85 years old & was diagnosed with mild Alzheimer's in 2015 was taken into hospital last Sunday from her care home. She has a chest infection & pneumonia. She seems to have deteriorated quite quickly & she is now end stage. She has now stopped eating solid food & is on liquids which means the antibiotics she's on are not working as well as they should be. We had to wait 11 hours last Sunday for her finally get to a ward in hospital & my thought at the time was " What quality of life has she got now?". I had to have a DNR conversation with the doctor that is attending her in the week as there wasn't one in place. So, there is now as I am certain that is what she would want. I think the person she used to be would be horrified at the situation she is now in.
I am resigned but every time my phone goes!!!!
If she gets through this what happens if she is unable to go back to her care home & they want her out of hospital? I have to find her a nursing home?

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
I’m in a similar position @Lady Eleanor. I was told that it can take awhile for the delirium following her chest infection to lift so she might start eating again. They’ve said 6-8 weeks if she doesn’t.

They are actively looking for a nursing home for her but none are happy to have her at the moment because she will need a lot of care.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Her care home will assess her before they decide whether or not she can go back. Mums care home was happy to take her back and she passed away there, but not all of them will. If they are unable to accept her back, then. yes. she will probably need a nursing home. The hospital SW should be able to help.

Lady Eleanor

Jul 1, 2015
West Wickham, Kent
Her care home will assess her before they decide whether or not she can go back. Mums care home was happy to take her back and she passed away there, but not all of them will. If they are unable to accept her back, then. yes. she will probably need a nursing home. The hospital SW should be able to help.
Thank you for your post. Apparently my mum is being assessed tomorrow so I’ll be a bit a bit clearer on what to do next once I hear what they have to say.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Thank you for your post. Apparently my mum is being assessed tomorrow so I’ll be a bit a bit clearer on what to do next once I hear what they have to say.
I really hope that it all gets sorted for you. My Dad won’t eat & has been on fortified liquids without anyone asking me, Dads TEP plan kicked in weeks ago but the home won’t agree he is in need of palliative care despite it being stated by an A&E consultant!