End of my tether with sisters and brother

Helena

May 24, 2006
Susan

Having been through the hell of Vascular Dementia with my Mother who died Nov 2006 at age 90 you have my immemnse sympathy

My Mother was only increasingly strange for about 2 years before she really lost control of finances etc 9 months before she died and thankfully i had absolutely no problem taking over with power of attorney ........She too was fiercly independant and in total denial that anything was wrong with her whilst everyone else could see it .....once she collapsed and was taken into hospital with pneumonia the detioration was rapid and not even a saint could have coped with her

The CT scan which should have been done 5 yrs previously if the doctors had not been so darn arrogant and stupid revealed numerous infarcts and cerebral atrophy and the prognosis was a year at best .......thanks to her weakened state and the emergence of C Diff we were spared that and after 5 weeks in hospital with threat of an EMI unit she died

In those last years all the nasty sides of my Mother came well to the fore and its truly immensley hard to even remember if she ever had a nice side

AD and VD changes a person so much that especially if you have the non stop stress of caring or running back and forth trying to deal with one crisis after another it will break you faster than you think

No matter how much you love your Mother or care about her welfare there rapidly comes a point where only a full time care home can cope and on no account should you beat yourself up for it

I 100% blame the utter arrogance of the medical profession for refusing to accept the paramedics diagnosis 5 yrs earlier on her 1st collapse because had they done so and bothered then to do a CT scan or taken my sister and myself seriously much of what we all coped with in her latter years could have been avoided and a lot more besides .....

SusanB

Jan 15, 2008
Hove
Helena,

What a very sad story yours is and I'm sorry to hear that you went through such a bad time. I do know that things are going to get bad, but as I said I genuinely hope that she's not going to "get that far", ie that her medical problems (heart, mainly) will end it for her before the dementia sneaks in any further through the letter box and takes her away. She's in effect dying whilst still remaining alive.

Also, her decline in personality means that she has lost her ability to empathise and she's no longer interested in other people. You should see how she behaves in restaurants! Five year olds have nothing on my Mum. In another post I'll let you all hear quite a funny story - well, it was funny afterwards.

Mum refused a CT scan as she thought it would be too invasive. At least I think that was her reasoning (huh?), maybe I'm just projecting - anyway, there was no way she was going to have one of those.

I reckon I'm the only one out of the four of us (brother, sisters) who has realised what is going to happen and yes, she will need full time care in the next year or so.

Dementia - someone's cruel trick sent to p*** us off

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Also, her decline in personality means that she has lost her ability to empathise and she's no longer interested in other people.

Dementia - someone's cruel trick sent to p*** us off

Hello Susan

Agree on both counts! My mum is exactly the same and, whilst situations aren't funny at the time, when I reflect from the sanctuary of my own armchair, on how mum has changed, I have to laugh (albeit in a hollow fashion!).

My mum is quite happy for me to do all the cleaning, cooking, shopping, laundry etc whilst she sits and reads her paper. Or accompanies me to the supermarket (a nightmare as despite having the list (I've written) in her hand) she deviates from it constantly and repeats 'have we got milk' when there is a six pint bottle in the trolley.

Of course, there is 'nothing wrong with her' ... she is 'fully recovered' from the stroke (singular) that she had. Mmm and she thinks Christmas was at least 4 months ago.

Empathise totally with the sibling non-involvement. Get some help from the CPN/SW and get yourself a carer's assessment. Try and make the professionals do some of the leg work.

Take care and keep on keeping on!