end of life

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
My sincere condolences.
A suggestion, sort out some photos from happy times and create a montage of them. Then he's smiling every time you walk past!

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
My condolences to you and your family. It's been such a hard time for you and I hope that you find peace in knowing that your Dad is no longer suffering.

Love

Lyn T XX

elaina

Aug 10, 2015
Somerset
Thanks to all for your kind words and advice over the last week. I am humbled by the compassion and kindness I have been shown.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thanks to all for your kind words and advice over the last week. I am humbled by the compassion and kindness I have been shown.

Oh Elaina! It's such a strange time in a way isn't it. Sadness and relief all mingling together with each emotion trying to get the upper hand in our minds. I hope you know that this Forum is very good at support for people who have lost someone to this terrible illness-and other illnesses actually. Please keep on posting if you feel the need- you will always be welcome.

Love

Lyn T XX

RobynNZ

Feb 16, 2013
Such a comfort to have the Forum

My 97 yr old mother is in her final days after having a stroke a week ago. It will be a blessing when she passes after suffering with dementia for the past few years. I hated putting her into a rest home but the nursing staff have all been marvellous and so patient with her. After being admitted to the public hospital twice she was moved to the hospital part of the rest home early last year. She's had a strong constitution and amazed us with the way she has party recovered from each knock back, but this time it's the final straw and the doctor agreed no intervention was necessary and keeping her comfortable was the main concern. She looks so much at peace and has known our voices but she no longer opens her eyes. I'd like to be with her at the end but have to leave that in God's hands. It's so hard to witness this slow decline not knowing how long she will linger but we'll get through it just like so many of you have done. No-one prepares you for the journey but somehow we're given the strength. God Bless. Thinking of you especially Elaina.

My dear Mum passed away on 17th September after eleven days without any interventions other than some morphine as needed. It was extremely tough watching her die slowly and very emotional when she did pass with my husband and myself beside her. I feel quite exhausted but know I did all I could for Mum as her dementia worsened. The mother I knew had been leaving me for quite some time - a living death and she would have hated to have seen herself like that. At last she has peace.

Last edited:

elaina

Aug 10, 2015
Somerset
Wishing you strength for the time ahead. It has been 4 weeks since my dad passed away and I am still feeling completely heart broken. I keep trying to remember good times but there were no "recent" good times. We lived with him having Alzheimers for 8 years and, for the moment at least, those are the memories which feature largest - especially those last days which I found harrowing.
Hoping that happy memories will return because I am really struggling at present.

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
Hoping that happy memories will return because I am really struggling at present.

Elaina I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad. The whole Alzheimer's journey is a harrowing one for families as well as the person with the disease. I am at an earlier stage, my dad has decided he can no longer cope with Mum at home and we are seeking a residential care place for her. As we described the changes in behaviour to the SW I was struck by how long a journey it has been, in the 9th year now and how Mum has changed- so much so that I struggle to remember what my Mum was like when she was well. We still have the end stage to deal with and from your description I think you will still be in shock and the recent memories will be especially vivid. I suspect though as you go through the grieving process you will eventually remember good times and happy memories. Meantime I think the photo advice is good advice. I am going to look out some of my Mum to cheer me up. Take care xxx