End of life

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Teddybear12, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Teddybear12

Teddybear12 Registered User

Aug 26, 2016
    Male
    London
    Mum has had a sore tongue for six weeks so eating less and less.they treated her for oral thrust but now feel can be link to diabetes so poor lady wasting away.after just getting her in to hospital with aching back we found the cause of bad back pains is an aortic aneurysm .Due to her AL and age 86 the medical team feel it would be cruel to give her surgery .We can only go with there judgement .sad end to this terrible disease . MRI scan tomorrow waiting on results.

2. nellbelles

nellbelles Volunteer Host

Nov 6, 2008
    leicester
    Sorry to read this, I suppose I can understand the medics reluctance to operate that is a big operation.
    I hope you get some answers that will help keep your Mum comfortable

3. maryjoan

maryjoan Registered User

Mar 25, 2017
    Female
    Devon
    My Mum had an aortic aneurysm - knew about it for a couple of years before it ruptured - they operated, but her heart gave out and she died on operating table - they had actually completed the operation successfully when her heart stopped. She was 91.

4. Duggies-girl

Duggies-girl Registered User

Sep 6, 2017
    Such a frightening event @maryjoan and an awful thing to have to live with. My mum had an aortic aneurysm but they would not operate because of her other problems. It ruptured one evening while she and dad were watching TV and dad called an ambulance. They took her on a blue light journey to the local hospital and then on to Kings in London where they operated and fixed it. She lived another 6 months. Amazing lady my mum and one of the very very few to survive a rupture. She was 78

I promised mum I would be tested for it. I will one day.

5. maryjoan

maryjoan Registered User

Mar 25, 2017
    Female
    Devon
    Myself and my siblings were tested shortly after Mum died - and we were all clear - but it is well worth doing - under our circumstances the Doctors thought it was essential to check us out...

6. Teddybear12

Aug 26, 2016
    Male
    London
    Sorry for your loss .Tough times for all involved i know x

7. Teddybear12

Aug 26, 2016
    Male
    London
    well from being told that mums life is near the end .i read that people live with enlarged aorta .i go in the hospital to see mum, to see catheter removed mum sitting up in a chair feeding herself .still being given painkillers but seem so positive i was in shock . how 24 hours her condition swung around.just got to try to keep positive .

8. lemonjuice

lemonjuice Registered User

Jun 15, 2016
    England
    This situation seems to be so common and I've said before it's almost as if PWD have an extra immunity against the process of dying. I was warned nearly 6 years before her death, when my mother was in hospital with an enlarged heart, Bradycardia and ongoing heart disease following her MI 40 years previously o_O, yes 40+ years, apart from the Dementia that we should 'just let 'nature take its course'. Which it did, but did take a long time to reach its end.