End of life waiting

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
My mum after 8 long years is at end of life care at her residential care home. She has no food no fluids a skeleton lying there, we sit there everyday hold her hand play music, she’s thankfuly calm and has not woken up in 8 days. She is essentially dying. How can someone survive soo long without anything and this shouldn’t sound bad but it’s such a strain watching and waiting...

This is the time when, perhaps, if you are very lucky, a true sense of what it really means to be human, can come about. There has been perpetual anxiety and genuine despair, along with some very good times, during the period when a loved one was living with a dementia in a Home. There was that initial moment, when a decision had to be made for Care to come into play - that role which was once your own, now relegated to others, not by choice, but simply by having no choice. The loved one, through no fault whatsoever of their own, now resides in another place, in another environment. A place which will remain 'home' for the rest of their lives.
There is immense implication in all of this, for both the loved one and those who 'care' for or
who are very close to that loved one. During the journey, the dementia journey, all manner of events and happenings will have sown the seeds of empathy, compassion and awareness, in those who have cared for a loved one with dementia. A profound awareness of what it means to witness true vulnerability in a person, physical and psychological. And a constant uncertainty as to the nature of a disease which inhabits someone so very close to you, in that you can almost feel their pain and their anxiety, yet cannot eradicate it, but can offer the comfort of being there, of taking hold of a hand, of 'communicating' your humanity through unfailing love.

Then, the journey comes to an end. And in my own case, with my late mother, that ending lasted exactly one whole month. In the hospital, each day and night, I remained with her at the bedside. I was there for procedures, to calm her. I was there whist she slept. I was there to offer food and drink, none of which was taken. In the early hours, she would awaken, rather afraid. I would take hold of her hand and calm her and keep hold of that hand until daybreak. And so it went on, day after day. Then, one morning, as I entered the side room in the ward, my mother opened her eyes
and she gazed at me in a way which seemed to encapsulate everything that had gone before - in the whole dementia journey - a poignant 'look' as if from a child and yet from a mother, all of 99 years of age. In that brief moment, I knew that the journey was drawing to a close. A life - a childhood, two Wars, bringing up a family with unreserved love and patience, a fun-loving, sociable being, so very thoughtful and considerate, always so aware of how fortunate her life had been, a loving wife and mother - was nearing its end, amidst that darkening cloud of dementia.

And, on the morning she died, just and hour or so before, she opened her eyes fully and she spoke lucidly to me, as if her Alzheimer's had left her. For perhaps a minute, if that, talking to me like the mother of old. Then, she closed her eyes and from that moment on, I held her hand and held it tight, up until the very end. And in all of this, despite the pain, the actual heartfelt pain, the sense of loss which wells over you and engulfs you, it is when your mind becomes settled again and you see things very clearly, that this has been an enormous privilege. You have engaged in an expression of benevolent humanity, perhaps for the very first time, an authentic thing which cannot really be expressed in words. Yet, a truth all the same. That alone, liberates one from the despair so often borne, day by day, in that dementia journey. And above all, our loved ones are free at last, from all that has gone before in their own relentless journey. And there must be lasting comfort in that.

Last edited:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I kept telling my Mum that she was free to go whenever she was ready. My lovely friend came over each day, took me out for lunch and then shared the vigil for a while. Each time I left, I told Mum that it was OK if she had gone when I returned.

On the last morning, I cried. I told her that I was tired from the broken nights, in pain from sleeping on the floor. That I needed to go home to see my OH and cuddle my cats. Then I lay down and dozed for a while. When I woke, she had left us.

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
My heart breaks for you it truely does!!..peace love and thoughts to your beautiful mum and also yourself and family!!.xxxxxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
So sorry for you and your mum. I hope this awful time is soon over for you and that your mum goes peacefully. Hugs to you.
Thank you so much I totally appreciate your words and we’re soo lucky with the staff here are amazing. The nurse is on her way she’s been gasping and a few strange noises. We’re on day 9, and she’s soo ready. And once again thank u.
@Michkaren You are in my thoughts at this very difficult time. Wishing you continued strength and a peaceful end for your dear mum. She will know you are with her.

Michkaren

Jun 16, 2018
Thank you for all your kind and truthful words. My mum died after 10 days very peacfully with me and my sister sitting by her side at her care home. It's a heaviness in my chest thats hard to explain but im sure you know exactly what i mean.

Maybe for us who live through it and watch them pass it unites us forever....

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Thank you for all your kind and truthful words. My mum died after 10 days very peacfully with me and my sister sitting by her side at her care home. It's a heaviness in my chest thats hard to explain but im sure you know exactly what i mean.

Maybe for us who live through it and watch them pass it unites us forever....
I am so very sorry about your dear Mum. How special, although also so sad, that you and your sister were present at her passing. She will have known you were with her and I have no doubt that will have been an enormous comfort to her. After so much suffering, she is finally at peace. It must be so difficult - the profound sadness and huge sense of loss but also a "relief" that your Mum is finally free of this awful illness. You must be exhausted. I send my love to you and your sister and my deepest sympathy.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
So very sorry Michkaren, you will miss her so much but she is free now and I hope that brings you and your sister some comfort.
With love to you both xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m sorry to read your sad news. Sending my condolences and wishing you and your strength.