End of life stage

Jimbob❤️

Jun 6, 2018
Hi, my Mum was diagnosed with low level mixed dementia only 18 months ago and following a pneumonia diagnosis, we were told 2 weeks ago that she is in end of life stage and had only weeks to life. However, she’s only 5.5 stone, but is still eating and drinking a little. I know everyone’s story is different, but how long does this go? I spend everyday with her, but just don’t see her edging away? I’m just interested to hear other stories

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m sorry to hear this @jimbob. It is very painful watching someone you love waste away.

My husband had aspiration pneumonia two or three times, I`m not sure, but it was only when he refused food and drink the end was near .

He was on palliative care and then put on a syringe driver to make sure he was in no pain. He died within 24 hours.

I hope your mother is comfortable and pain free.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
As many on here will say, "How long is a piece of string?"
Such a low weight may indicate she hasn't possibly got much resilience should she get an infection, but I've known people at that weight and stage hang on for months and months.

If she's still eating and drinking, although at what is considered 'end-of-life' stage, that doesn't mean that her demise is actually imminent.
My mother was 'technically' at end-of-life stage for around 18 months and was certainly in the most severe, advanced stages of dementia by that time. During those months we had many emergencies, which could have proved fatal, but in fact didn't.
I recommend you don't put your life 'on hold' as it may be a while off yet. Then there are others who are nowhere near obviously at end-of-life, who die suddenly. It really is so variable, but from personal observations with my own relatives and others in those advanced stages , is that the dementia almost seems to make that last stage last much longer than those not obviously so severe.

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Hi, my Mum was diagnosed with low level mixed dementia only 18 months ago and following a pneumonia diagnosis, we were told 2 weeks ago that she is in end of life stage and had only weeks to life. However, she’s only 5.5 stone, but is still eating and drinking a little. I know everyone’s story is different, but how long does this go? I spend everyday with her, but just don’t see her edging away? I’m just interested to hear other stories

If you can continue to spend each day with her, that is good. Each case is different and often surprisingly so.

My late mother was admitted into hospital with pneumonia and 'end of life' Alzheimer's. I too remained with her each day (and night) for one whole month. In that month, what she ate would not fill an egg cup. What she drank (later on by syringe) was virtually tantamount to dehydration.
The consultant said that as she had such a very strong heart, this kept her alive, but the clinical staff were genuinely astonished.. What is very important is that the loved one concerned does not have to endure discomfort. This remains a very personal experience. My own was both extremely rewarding and profoundly moving, both at the same time, despite the often quite difficult intrusion of
the clinical environment. And there is a fundamental truth here, which takes place, over which none of us has any control. Therein, lies a privilege and a privilege to be cherished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan