End of life plan

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
My DH is on an end of life pathway. He hasn't eaten for six days now and only minute amounts of liquid which he started refusing two days ago. Glycerine sticks are being used to refresh his mouth. He has a pump which is giving him pain relief and to stop him getting agitated. The hospital have been brilliant and hope to have him in a side ward by end of today.

So knowing this why do I still think they've made a mistake and tomorrow he'll be sitting up in bed.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
So sorry you are now having to face this - have no wise words to offer but will send a hug. I think it is human nature that we need something to cling to in times like these. Take care x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((hugs))))))))))) @Wishful
This twilight world, this limbo land is difficult to navigate. Your head knows that he is at end of life, but your heart hasnt yet caught up

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
So sorry you are now having to face this - have no wise words to offer but will send a hug. I think it is human nature that we need something to cling to in times like these. Take care x

Thank you

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
No real change in my DH today. He just laid there looking up not moving. Yesterday the hospital said they would put him in a side room. Today we find they have moved him but to another bay and shoved up in the corner out of the way. The nurse barely spoke to us.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Dont worry about the nurse. The NHS is geared up to making people better and many of the staff have no idea what to do in the face of death. There may not have been a side room free (they are usually used to control infection) and at least if he is in a corner it will be quiet. I do hope they are not restricting your visiting times. There is a thing called "Johns Law" which, if your hospital is signed up to it, will allow for unrestricted access to people with dementia.

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
You're probably right canary about the side room. We do have unrestricted visiting and free parking was also arranged for us.

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
Sadly we got the phonecall at 21.15 from the hospital to say that DH's breathing had changed and he passed away shortly after. It's a 20 mile journey and he passed about 5 mins before we got there. He looked so peaceful and at ease.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry that you didnt get there in time. That was very quick.
I wasnt there when mum passed away either
Im glad he was peaceful
xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson