End of Life - Muscle weakness

LinofSC

Nov 27, 2016
Mum is in a care home, now bed bound, not eating and drinking very little and has been put on End of Life care. The muscles in her neck seem to have weakened - she always used to lean over to the left because of osteoporosis etc, but a few days ago she was leaning a lot to the right. Carers are not really all etc straighten her up. She is not able to pull herself up in bed to sit comfortably.
Her hearing is not good but I have just had a few words with her and will see her again tomorrow (I live 100 miles away although my brother is close by)
Has anyone else heard of muscle weakness near the end of life
Look forward to any response
Thanks

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @LinofSC, I'm sorry to learn of the current difficulties.

Problems with mobility due to muscle weakness of inability of nerve signals to get to the muscle can be part of this stage of dementia.

The Society have a Factsheet about this stage and, in the hope that it helps, you can read it by clicking the 2nd line of the following link. It does mention this aspect of things.

End of life care (531)
PDF printable version

I wish you the strength you need at this time.

LinofSC

Nov 27, 2016
Hello @LinofSC, I'm sorry to learn of the current difficulties.

Problems with mobility due to muscle weakness of inability of nerve signals to get to the muscle can be part of this stage of dementia.

The Society have a Factsheet about this stage and, in the hope that it helps, you can read it by clicking the 2nd line of the following link. It does mention this aspect of things.

End of life care (531)
PDF printable version

I wish you the strength you need at this time.
Thank you! I have read the leaflet and found it useful.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
M
Mum is in a care home, now bed bound, not eating and drinking very little and has been put on End of Life care. The muscles in her neck seem to have weakened - she always used to lean over to the left because of osteoporosis etc, but a few days ago she was leaning a lot to the right. Carers are not really all etc straighten her up. She is not able to pull herself up in bed to sit comfortably.
Her hearing is not good but I have just had a few words with her and will see her again tomorrow (I live 100 miles away although my brother is close by)
Has anyone else heard of muscle weakness near the end of life
Look forward to any response
Thanks
Dads had OT assessment & is being given soft food & drink in a supported position - in his bed as the home don’t have any alternative seating. Small amounts of food & protein drinks.