End of life meds

Barney18

Jan 5, 2011
Essex
Hubby is 56 and has had FAD since at least 2008. He recently went into hospital to have an abscess removed. While there he had 2 massive seizures. He had an assessment for continuing healthcare then got fast tracked by the palliative care team. He got discharged this week after 4 and a half weeks in hospital. He has been referred to district nurses and the hospice. He also came home with "end of life meds". Whilst I knew he was in the late stages no one had mentioned end of life. I'm more than a bit confused as to how he could go from "being known" to the palliative care team to coming home with "end of life" meds. We've been given no proper explanation but now think they assume he's come home to die. I'm waiting to speak to palliative care to see what they think. Anyone had a similar experience?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Barney18
I hope the palliative care team answer all your questions - I'm saddened that you've got home and are not settled in your mind
Sorry - I have no experience of this - but wanted to offer sympathy rather than not post at all
I hope you both have a peaceful night

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The end of life meds are provided as soon as the palliative care team are contacted so they are ready immediately if needed.

I`m sorry this wasn`t explained properly to you Barney. It is done to protect your husband from as much pain as possible and will have indeed been a shock to you.

Your poor husband is so young. I`m so sorry.

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Hubby is 56 and has had FAD since at least 2008. He recently went into hospital to have an abscess removed. While there he had 2 massive seizures. He had an assessment for continuing healthcare then got fast tracked by the palliative care team. He got discharged this week after 4 and a half weeks in hospital. He has been referred to district nurses and the hospice. He also came home with "end of life meds". Whilst I knew he was in the late stages no one had mentioned end of life. I'm more than a bit confused as to how he could go from "being known" to the palliative care team to coming home with "end of life" meds. We've been given no proper explanation but now think they assume he's come home to die. I'm waiting to speak to palliative care to see what they think. Anyone had a similar experience?

Hello. I'm sorry. It looks as if Grannie G has given you the reasoning behind the delivery of medications, but someone on the care team should have taken you aside, as part of the process, to help explain things to you so you would not be feeling both shock and sorrow this way. What a hard road this is for you. I hope you have a good on-the-ground support network. This TP network is wonderful, but having a close friend to help you travel the next part of this road might be really nice. I also hope you are keeping care of yourself, maybe going out for walks, or reading something *other* than information on illness, or going out to dinner, or something just for you. Take care of yourself, and do let us know how you are doing.