End of life confusion

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Very little they can do sadly. A drop of fluid and a taste of food is about it, they cannot be seen to hasten death

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @MLPH and welcome to Talking Point.

Im afraid that end of life with dementia is indeed a roller coaster.
Small amounts of food and fluid are unlikely to make any difference, sometimes people seemingly at end of life rally and start eating and drinking again, so its important to offer food and drink. My MIL was considered to be at EOL and was put on the Liverpool pathway - deemed nil by mouth, but rallied, had to be taken off this pathway and started eating and drinking well again. I was told three times that mum was at end of life, only for her to rally and start eating and drinking again - she eventually died 16 months later.

Im not saying that this will happen to your father - Im just explaining why food is offered.

MLPH

Apr 20, 2022
Very little they can do sadly. A drop of fluid and a taste of food is about it, they cannot be seen to hasten death
Thanks for your reply. I do understand and I’d hate it if he wanted it but was not being offered it…

MLPH

Apr 20, 2022
Hello @MLPH and welcome to Talking Point.

Im afraid that end of life with dementia is indeed a roller coaster.
Small amounts of food and fluid are unlikely to make any difference, sometimes people seemingly at end of life rally and start eating and drinking again, so its important to offer food and drink. My MIL was considered to be at EOL and was put on the Liverpool pathway - deemed nil by mouth, but rallied, had to be taken off this pathway and started eating and drinking well again. I was told three times that mum was at end of life, only for her to rally and start eating and drinking again - she eventually died 16 months later.

Im not saying that this will happen to your father - Im just explaining why food is offered.
Thanks for your reply…I think my father may be the same, he has rallied several times now.