end of life care

Louise_Martin

Feb 11, 2016
Hi. We have recently been told by doctors at my grandads home, that if my grandad becomes ill they will try and treat him at the care home. But if they are unable to treat him they will take him off his medication and give him morphine to make him comfortable. Can they make this decision for him? Or should it down to his family?

feet1st67

Feb 11, 2016
Hi. We have recently been told by doctors at my grandads home, that if my grandad becomes ill they will try and treat him at the care home. But if they are unable to treat him they will take him off his medication and give him morphine to make him comfortable. Can they make this decision for him? Or should it down to his family?

I'm not sure of the answer but i'm sending you a big ((hug))

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
So sorry to hear you are facing this difficult situation. The family would normally be involved in any end of life care decisions. My advice would be to speak to the manager of the care home if you are at all worried that decisions are being made without any input and if you are still worried following the conversation with the manager then ask to speak to the doctor. The doctor will visit regularly and normally they are very happy to speak to family members.
Take care x