End OF Life Care

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
How lovely for your Dad to have someone sharing precious memories with him at this time, must make him feel so loved and appreciated. Take care Dimelza, wishing you strength and wishing you and your Dad peace x

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Thank you all so much for your kind words. Dad is so peaceful now he's on the syringe driver. He's completely stopped swallowing and he's gurgling a lot when he breathes. He's already on antibiotics as the GP was concerned about pneumonia on Tuesday so I think now he'll just slip away.
I'm realising now what a huge hole he will leave in my life as he's filled every thought and every spare moment and some that weren't spare(!), for 8 years of this cruel disease.
All I wanted for him was a peaceful death and he's going to have this now. He knows we all love him and will miss him. My work is almost done.
God bless to all those who've lost or are in the process of losing their loved ones xxx

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Thanks Chaucer. I hope you're not doing too badly? I cannot yet imagine how it feels.
Dads still hanging on keeping us on our toes. Good colour, warm, twitching a lot and making some strange noises. Had a sedative earlier as he was quite restless and agitated and barely rested and this has helped a little.
Hoping he has a restful night. I'm staying a while yet.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
You sweetie :) I'm fine - did see dad last week but then the D&V hit the home again; so far he hasn't been struck by it
Off to bed now - which is where you should be ..... ;)
Sleep tight

Jane23

Jan 23, 2016
Hi Dimelza, I am new on here but just wanted to send my best wishes and thoughts to you and your dad at this sad and stressful time xx

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Welcome Jane23 it's a fantastic place. I barely have time to post but it's so useful for information and support.
Lady thank you for asking. Just got home. Had a few scary moments today but dads still with us. Amazingly. But we were chatting and realised he's never had a single day off work sick! He's 72 and semi retired at 64 (that's when dementia symptoms started) so had work for almost 50 years!
So I'm guessing he's so strong! Lots of unpleasant breathing patterns and noises but we've left him peacefully tonight again.

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Welcome Jane23 it's a fantastic place. I barely have time to post but it's so useful for information and support.
Lady thank you for asking. Just got home. Had a few scary moments today but dads still with us. Amazingly. But we were chatting and realised he's never had a single day off work sick! He's 72 and semi retired at 64 (that's when dementia symptoms started) so had work for almost 50 years!
So I'm guessing he's so strong! Lots of unpleasant breathing patterns and noises but we've left him peacefully tonight again.

Thinking of you Dimelza you must be exhausted hope you manage to get some rest xx

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
I'm glad you got through another day with your dear dad,and hey what a hard working man was he?!
I hope you manage to get some rest now and recoup some energy for your next visits with him..
And thank you for your kind thoughts about mum and me,it's early days,but it is such a loss,not easy I won't lie,but hopefully in time will get less painful..
You take care of yourself,my thoughts are with you and yours. Xx

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Thank you nanny. I'm having a glass of wine watching Call The Midwife in peace.
Chaucer. My heart is breaking for you. It's hit me hard suddenly that soon I'll never see or touch my dad ever again. I feel so so lucky to have these precious days with him.

LeedsLass

Oct 13, 2014
Essex
Cherish these last moments dimelza you are doing wonderfully well and I'm sure your lovely dad would be so proud of you X

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Dads looking wonderful today. He's had a shave and a really good mouth clean out. Smells sweeter than me and looks younger too haha he'd love to tell me that ☺️☺️

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Morning Dimelza
quite a man, your dad - glad he's looking good today - the 2 of you are quite a force to be reckoned with
always best wishes

and Hi Chaucer 1931 and LeedsLass
I still miss my mum after 10 years - I have a big warm cardigan of hers I wrap myself in once in a while, so she's hugging me - one step at a time, you will get through, even though tiny steps feel like huge strides at the moment - no need for haste

so much sadness; so much love
all three of you have huge hearts

Last edited:

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
My dad passed away at 22:19 last night.
It was so peaceful and me, my mum, my brother and dads lovely sister were there.
Thank you so much for the fabulous advice and support. Unbeatable xxxx

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Dimelza, I am sorry to hear your news. Please accept my condolences on the passing of your father. I am sorry for your loss.

Please know we will be thinking of you at this difficult time, and in the days to come.

When you feel up to it, we would love to hear an update from you, when the time is right for you, of course.

Warmest wishes to you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976