End of life care

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Just hoping that you are coping Maureen, and still thinking of you and your Mum xxx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Update.

I don't know what to do, say or think:confused:. On Wednesday afternoon ( I'd had the morning off to squeeze in a haircut) at 2pm I walked into Mum's room with my book ready to sit a spell and listen to her slow breathing and.......she was propped up a bit in bed having soup spooned into her mouth:eek:

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry to be honest . Apparently she had asked for something to eat.

She had soup on Thursday too, and yesterday I had the day off. Her doctors and nurses do not know what to make of her.

She does however have some rubbing on her feet and the sides of her heels are turning a bit black due to poor circulation, so she is still on bedsore watch, but she had even managed to take the sheepskin bootees off.

To say that we are gobsmacked is an understatement.

I am honestly emotionally numb.:confused:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Oh Maureen!-I really don't know what to say. It appears that everyone seems to think your dear Mum is about to pass except her. Sorry that sounds flippant, I don't mean it to be, but her will to live must be so, so strong. It's no wonder that you feel numb. Was your Mum doing what I call 'sleeping eating'. I often described how Pete used to do that. A sort of instinct to open their mouths but sleeping at the same time.

I know a lot of people describe stopping eating as being one of the last stages-but with Pete that didn't happen. I hope that doesn't upset you-I'm just saying don't raise your hopes too high. At the same time get some REST (yes I am shouting!).:D You must be so tired. I admire your obvious strength and devotion to your Mum but think of yourself just a little bit.

Love as always

Lyn T XX

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Lyn you are so right....her strength to stay alive must be enormous....to have gone from almost Cheyne-Stoke breathing to Leek and potato soup overnight....well as I say, I am numb. Believe me, I'm having a lazy weekend this weekend!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Well, I said it previously and it still seems true - the human spirit is amazing and your mother is a prime example of that, Maureen.
She will go when and if she wants to, that much seems apparant and I wish her well.
Exhausting for you but you know your mother and I'm sure you are not surprised. She sounds a strong personality and I know you are treasuring every moment you have with her. x

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Your mum must be amazing Maureen :)

I hope you really have had a restful weekend, sounds like you might need all the rest you can get :)

Sending (((hugs)))

Lindy xx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
How are you and your Mum Maureen? I hope you managed to get some rest last weekend. Just wanting you to know that you are in my thoughts,

Love,

Lyn T