End of life care and fast track CHC

Coulddobetter

Oct 19, 2016
Thought this might be useful information for anyone at this harrowing stage of 'the journey'. My late wonderful Mum was turned down for CHC in January 2017. In April this year she suffered a catastrophic stroke, so common sense told me she now had a 'primary health care need'. I requested that a fast track application for CHC be made. This was duly done, and was non-intrusive and expedited, there is just the one criterion that needs to be met, which is:

He or she has a rapidly deteriorating condition and the condition may be entering a terminal phase.’

And I know … at this dreadful final stage it is certainly not the most pressing issue, however I felt this was Mum's entitlement. For the last five days of her life the NHS paid for her palliative care, which is as it should be, for everyone.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Thought this might be useful information for anyone at this harrowing stage of 'the journey'. My late wonderful Mum was turned down for CHC in January 2017. In April this year she suffered a catastrophic stroke, so common sense told me she now had a 'primary health care need'. I requested that a fast track application for CHC be made. This was duly done, and was non-intrusive and expedited, there is just the one criterion that needs to be met, which is:

He or she has a rapidly deteriorating condition and the condition may be entering a terminal phase.’

And I know … at this dreadful final stage it is certainly not the most pressing issue, however I felt this was Mum's entitlement. For the last five days of her life the NHS paid for her palliative care, which is as it should be, for everyone.

I’m very pleased that you managed to get this sorted for your mum & you are right, this was her entitlement. So sorry for your loss too, at such a time of emotional upheaval then I really do wish that the CHC rules were far more lenient!

Coulddobetter

Oct 19, 2016
I’m very pleased that you managed to get this sorted for your mum & you are right, this was her entitlement. So sorry for your loss too, at such a time of emotional upheaval then I really do wish that the CHC rules were far more lenient!
Thank you. Miss her dearly.