End of a Journey...

mimi

Dec 1, 2005
Birmingham
I haven't posted for ages. I joined 15months ago when Mom went into a care home. After going through all the emotions related to this (good and bad) we settled into a pattern of visits to the home, visits for Mom to our house for xmas/easter/birthdays etc...All was going well. Then after the start of a short illness and generally looking under the weather - Mom fell and was admitted to hospital. There they found pneumonia and kidney infection - which resulted in kidney failure. (Mom was 85 and had poor kidney function and heart problems etc..) in the space of a week and a half she gradually went down - and died on 21/3/2007. And it was ok you know. We made our peace with the situation, she was given lots of morphine, and we wanted her out of pain. My sister came down from Wales - and we both visited, said what we had to, and had a few laughs. I decorated the space behind her bed in the hospital side room with photos from throughout her life - and we talked about them and the times she had etc... we hope she heard us, but she wasn't awake. 15months in the care home was time that we had when other people were looking after Mom and we could visit, take sweets, take flowers, laugh, do her hair and nails... I didn't want my Mom to die - but it was dignified and the care staff said even as she was being taken to hopsital for admittanc eshe was laughing and smiling - despite feeling ill. Sigh. I hope this helps anyone who is in doubt at putting a relative in a care home, or who is facing the end. The funeral was lovely - we planned it, the music, a humanist cererony, the sun shone and the cherry blossom fluttered! Not bad eh?
Not bad. Our journey with Alzheimer's is over - for the moment. Who knows what the future will bring? Thanks for all the Info of the Alzheimer's Talking point - i used to dip in and out for support and help. Sometimes things shocked me but it prepared me. Take care everyone - love Mimi

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your mother Mimi. It is nice to hear a positive report about care homes and I do understand what you say. When my dad was still alive and he and my mum lived at home I had to go there several times a day. That time was always hurried and taken up with practical tasks so there was no real quality time. Now when I visit the nursing home I don't actually have to 'do' anything and it is a relief.

I hope you'll continue to use TP if you feel it would help you.

Take care
Brenda

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Dear Mimi

My deepest condolence to you and your family.

Thank you for sharing this with us, hope you keep in touch.

Love
Cate

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Mimi

I am sorry for the loss of your mother, but your post sends a very positive message.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Kathleen
x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Mimi

I am so sorry for your loss, but thank you for making such a moving post. I think in the final analysis, that's all we we dare hope for our loved ones: that they will have a dignified death.

Thank you

Love

Jennifer

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Mimi

So sorry for the los of your mum.

But it was lovely that she had such a dignified end, it's what we most want for our loved ones.

The funeral sounds lovely too, the cherry blossom was a special touch -- beautiful.

Thank you for your post, and do visit again whanever you feel like a chat.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Mimi,

I would like to offer my deepest sympathy and sincere condolences on the death of your mother.

Thank you for sending such a positive message.

I hope you continue to be comforted by your memories.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Mimi, I'm very sorry to hear about your mum. Sincere condolences to you and your family. Love Deborah

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Dear Mimi,
Such a beautifully moving and uplifting post you have shared with us. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Nell

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Dear Mimi
I'm sorry to hear about your mum......mine died in February and her death too was dignified and a comforting end to her battle with dementia.
Take care
Love Wendy x

maria29al

Mar 15, 2006
Warwickshire
I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Your post was so beautiful though and will give hope and comfort to many of us here.

Thank you and take care of yourself.

Hugs

M
x