End charging for healthcare

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Dear All
Email your MP from the Alzheimer's web site,ask him/her to sign early day motion 1621,which calls on the government to review it's policy on charging people with dementia for their healthcare.
the more the merrier
Norman

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
I have sent my email Norman, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I will bring it up at my local support group at the next meeting.

Cheers Barraf

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear All,

I've just calculated that if it ever became necessary for me to employ ONE full time carer 24/7 for a month at the current private Agency rates of £16 per hour, then it would theoretically cost £11,520 per month to do so, in order to keep my parents at home. [£16 x 24 hours x 30 days]. If I set myself up as a Private Carer for somebody else's parents, then presumably I could command such an income?

HOWEVER - it's just fine with the NHS that I provide this service ABSOLUTELY FREE every month for my own family and that the SS won't even consider giving me a carer's allowance because I am deemed a 'non-resident' of the UK???? I might add that I have absolutely no money in this country, since all my finances are tied up in Bali and in Oz and I can't earn any money since I am here and not there....

I am seriously of a mind to draw a 'wage' from my parents' estate - not with ANY intent to disadvantage them, but to minimise the Inheritance Tax bill of 40% which will become payable upon their demises. I think I might run it by our Solicitor?
[If I only drew £30 a week, then I'd be able to get my hair cut...!!]

Is anyone else fed up with being an unpaid member of the Health Service, simply by dint of the fact they they are caring for their loved ones?

Any comments?

Jude

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi all, yes feel just the same, it 's just so unfair (much stamping of feet and grimacing!!) I will do my E mail and anything else you want Norm, to help get this baby growing. I did those sums too Jude, like you I was not a happy bunny! Love, She. XX

Suzy R

Jul 4, 2004
Switzerland
Great if two carers could swap and charge the health services for professional care. Saw something like it in 'Bread' when Joey's family and Grandad swapped houses and then charged each other rent (which they then claimed from the DSS).

Jude, with EPAs in your favour you should surely be in a position to draw some form of allowance from your parents (reducing the 40% liability) as you are tied-up 24x7 and unable to work. At least make sure they use their respective gift allowances each year.

BTW, I think residency is a matter of how many nights you spend in the UK per year, regardless of income or location of assets. I'm sure you could make a case with the SS, if you want to, Jude, but you might get 'got' some other way......

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Suzy,

Do you happen to know how many nights I have to stay before I'm considered a resident?

Given that I can stay 182 nights in Bali on my business visa, and unlimited nights in Oz on my resident passport, then I should work out how many nights I can stay in the UK. Looks like a lot of rushing around the world here.....

Fancy being considered a non resident in my country of birth? I'm starting to feel like a global bag lady......!!

Jude xx

Suzy R

Jul 4, 2004
Switzerland
Dear Jude,

I think it's six months, assuming you were never here for more than an average of three months in any one tax year since leaving. Presumably you are 'eligible' for council tax if you are in the UK on electoral register day (?) which is usually October-ish, but don't quote me on this!!!

Love, Suzy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife