Encouraging eating

Hootstoots

May 18, 2015
Worthing,West.Sussex
Hi all,does any one have any tips on getting Dad to eat?
Mum tries to encourage him but is just seen as nagging,then in turn she isn't really eating either,she said the other day that he had done well as he had boiled egg and toast for dinner but then the next day he'd only had a packet of crisps,so had she.
It's hard to watch so just wondered if anybody else has encountered this too?
Thanks so much.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Do either of them have the ability to cook? Would ready meals help?, they could have different things if they had a selection in a freezer. could they simply microwave them?

Have you tried meals on wheels? delivered hot, read to eat, would either of them eat it?

Hootstoots

May 18, 2015
Worthing,West.Sussex
Do either of them have the ability to cook? Would ready meals help?, they could have different things if they had a selection in a freezer. could they simply microwave them?

Yes Mum cooks,they are only in their 60's so it's pretty distressing to watch.It doesn't seem to be the cooking that's the problem,he just say's he's full,like if we go out for a meal he'll eat like 3 pieces of scampi and say he's done(only scampi,no chips or salad either!)

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
My mother went through a similar stage, although she had a complication with a thyroid problem that suppressed her appetite. Even after treatment for that, she still often said she wasn't hungry and wouldn't seek out food. She definitely stopped cooking for herself and would only eat snacks and a few ready-prepared items; I'm not sure, towards the end of her independent living, that she was heating frozen dinners (previously a staple in her diet).

However, if we went out to eat, and food was placed in front of her, once she tasted it, she would generally eat well. I never quite figured out if it was because it tasted good or if the "social script" to eat in a restaurant was still intact, or what.

I also found that as long as I sat across from her and continued to eat and drink, or at least make an appearance of it, she would mimic me and keep eating until her plate was empty.

Now in the care home, she happily eats whatever is placed in front of her, and the staff know not to take "I'm not hungry" for an answer.

This is a long answer to say, I agree with the other advice, see if you can arrange ready meals/meals on wheels.

Cinder

Dec 14, 2014
My MIL tends to do very well on soups. I make my own in a big batch & freeze them. I add extra calories by including cream, oil and butter. I also add lentils, beans or grains (amaranth is good as it's so tiny) for bulk. As long as the soup is blended smooth she'll eat loads!
Also sloppy foods such as fish pie with lots of sauce. If you flake the fish it's very easy to eat.
And cake.
There's always cake.
Somehow it's unaffected by any other eating issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Hootstoots

May 18, 2015
Worthing,West.Sussex
Haha! Yes any thing sweet,funnily enough doesn't count as food?!?!?! Dad is just the same,but he does like stews and soups so that is good thinking.
Docs have told him he's pre-diabetic but at this point we're like,hey ho,just eat the fruit and ice cream Dad!! :p

Lozzer

Jan 18, 2016
Haha! Yes any thing sweet,funnily enough doesn't count as food?!?!?! Dad is just the same,but he does like stews and soups so that is good thinking.
Docs have told him he's pre-diabetic but at this point we're like,hey ho,just eat the fruit and ice cream Dad!! :p

My mum in law wouldn't eat. I tried her with more spicy, tasty things like mild chilli, curry and herbs in stews. She loved them as she said nothing else tempted her as her taste had lessened. She also likes pea and ham soup, tomato and basil soup and prawn cocktail. She appears to have got her appetite back and I am slowly increasing the amount of food on the plate. It can all be frozen as well which helps me with my meal on wheels delivery. Ha! Oh and yes she has a sweet tooth and rice pudding and chocolate éclairs are favourites.

When we eat out we look for the light bites and even the children's meals as the large portioned pub meals put her off so she eats even less.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
My mum in law wouldn't eat. I tried her with more spicy, tasty things like mild chilli, curry and herbs in stews. She loved them as she said nothing else tempted her as her taste had lessened. She also likes pea and ham soup, tomato and basil soup and prawn cocktail. She appears to have got her appetite back and I am slowly increasing the amount of food on the plate. It can all be frozen as well which helps me with my meal on wheels delivery. Ha! Oh and yes she has a sweet tooth and rice pudding and chocolate éclairs are favourites.

When we eat out we look for the light bites and even the children's meals as the large portioned pub meals put her off so she eats even less.

Welcome to TP :)
My dad often complains he can't taste things.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aliso