Employing a Personal Assistant

Lee

Oct 14, 2004
Sidcup
Does anyone have any experience of employing a personal assistant to support someone with dementia?

I live with my aunt who has multi-infarct dementia and we have decided to employ a PA but dont know anyone in a similar situation

Lee

Oct 14, 2004
Sidcup
Jude

A Personal Assistant in the context of caring usually means someone supporting/enabling an impaired person to live as independently as possible. Some people believe that the term "carer" can carry negative connoations of being patronisied and "cared for"

Pat and I are looking for someone to support Pat rather than "care for" her. Duties include domestic work, driving and companionship but also just being around.

Regards

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Lee,

Perhaps you might be able to advertise locally for a Companion, which may cover things rather better than looking for a Carer. For some reason, the word 'Carer' seems to imply a slightly up market Tea Lady for many people and a Personal Assistant may sound a bit secretarial.

As carers, we probably do all of the above, don't we? ...

Best wishes,

Jude

Lee

Oct 14, 2004
Sidcup
Jude

Hi

I am looking to chat with people who employ personal assistants/companions for people with dementia- chiefly to share ideas about the practicalities etc.

Lee

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hello Lee

Probably the best thing is to await a reply from someone who has the experience you wish to share.

Then, correspond with them through Talking Point, and we can all learn and also chip in when appropriate.

There is also the Private Message facility for times when you want to exchange things person to person, and not make things public.

Talking Point is here so we can all put our heads together and share experiences, which for this particular group of people are wide and varied.

C

Chesca

Dear Lee

Sadly, within the present system I suspect your requirements do not exist. In my life I have been a PA at such a level of responsibility and financial reimbursement as to now make me blush; however, I am, and very proudly non-PC so, a 'carer' at such a level it makes me blush that I can't afford the balm for the cheeks. I love, therefore I care.

Never do I find it patronising until I cross the path of the various agencies and the minefield that is a system typical of today's policy making mess of the powers that be. The system allows only care within those parameters laid down by the 'rules' and the finances for such defined by those same rules.

I think that what you need you are going to have to pay for - a nurse come companion - and it costs.....lots of money. Where you will find what you are looking for will be within a private nursing agency. I doubt very much whether you will find much shared experience of this on TP.........but I could be wrong (it has been known!).

Many kind regards
Chesca