Emotional Milestones

robertjohnmills

Nov 16, 2008
Bexley in Kent nr London
oh dear,

I've become acutely aware over the years that as we are getting older, new relatives are being born, others, usually the old fall off the perch and like a time traveller, Christmas comes around sooner and sooner!

This long winded introduction is to say that my little dog Buffy is very ill. Mark and I bought her together 11 years ago, when he was well and we could enjoy our little surrogate baby! But now she is old, and fragile and probably will leave us soon :(

She is the last part of my life with the Mark I used to know when he was well and she has been such a comfort to me. So loyal, playful, always here to greet me but not for much longer. I will really miss her.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
What a shame Robert. I'm so sorry to hear that Buffy is so ill. I do understand what you mean about emotional milestones. I find it hard too. Take care. x

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
Dear Robert, I know exactly what you mean. I am so sorry that Buffy is ill. I have no doubt that she has shared so many special moments with you and Mark - and that she has been a great comfort and soulmate to you. It is, as you say, very tough emotionally, losing these precious links to pre-dementia times. Hx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
She is the last part of my life with the Mark I used to know when he was well and she has been such a comfort to me.

Dear Robert,

This is very sad and I do feel for you. All the animals we had in our life have been proper members of the family and when our loved ones become ill and pass away, it is devastating.

Love

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Robert,

when my husband went into care I acquired my own Oscar..a little doggie who has brought life back to me.

I'd be devastated now if anything happened to him so I do understand how you must be feeling.

I hope dear little Buffy isn't suffering too much..i'm sure you will love her and keep her comfortable for as long as you can.

You too are feeling a sense of loss..that all we love does leave us eventually. It's a hard time for you.

Love xx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Hi,

I've recently been through the same with beloved pets who carried so many associations and memories on their frail old backs and I've had to live with their loss and the disconnection to my past their deaths brought.

I now have one fairly young little three legged cat who came into the household just a few months before Ken went into the assessment ward. She in her own way carries on some of the associations and having a younger and fit little animal has helped me through the sense of loss the deaths of the other two brought.

Your post is sad but also very philosophical. I suppose as we ourselves get older we learn we have to live with loss and be glad of the new life which comes into our families.

My love to you at this sad time.

xxTinaT

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
How is Buffy? I do hope she is comfortable and painfree. I got my current rescue dog years ago when feeling almost suicidal during a painful situation...So I understand how much a dog can mean to us. I am sure you will let her go if she begins to suffer and that is love indeed, right to the end...x

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hello Robert, I am so sorry to hear about Buffy, we have had three dogs and been devastated when two died and the other had to go back to the Rescue Centre. I know how you feel as they were like part of the family. Can you get another to replace Buffy? Love Pauline xxx

Farmergirl

May 24, 2011
Cornwall
We too have an elderly dog. My daughter loves him to bits and he is struggling now as he's getting very stiff and snores all day (even when he's awake).
I too have noticed Christmas coming round far too soon. One minute its February, then its May, then.....Christmas.

have you also noticed that there is a lot of gloom around? So many people dying on the telly (and locally 4 funerals this week!)
Lets have some cheery stories guys!